New Years Eve!

Heidelberg Travel Blog

Gun tower at castle

New Year's Eve day, we went to visit some other cousins near Heidelberg.  So of course we went to the castle.  I love the pink sandstone.  I think the gun tower was actually blown up from a gun powder explosion and not from bombing during the war.  The little cousins all got Laugenbretzels - lye pretzels.  Mmm.  Kids prefer those pretzels to candy.  Good for them!

We walked down a bunch of steps to get to the old part of Heidelberg.  We walked across the bridge - I can't remember its name.  It was bombed during WWII and it was a main crossing of the Neckar River at the time.  From the bridge you get a nice view of the castle up on the hill behind the city.

Heidelberg castle ruins
  Its a pedestrian bridge now.

We climbed back up all those steps and looked around the castle a little.  There are two large barrels.  Back in the day, taxes were paid in wine and the "tax" collected was poured into one of these barrels.  The Kleines Fass (little barrel) holds 45,000 liters!  Just think what the wine tasted like!  The Kleines Fass was built in 1664!  And the Grosses Fass (big barrel) is HUGE!  I don't have the picture - but it is about 3-4 times taller than I am.

That night was New Year's Eve, but I was so exhausted that I took one sip of my champagne and fell asleep on Oma's couch!  My uncle woke me up about 5 mintues before midnight.  In Germany they light off fireworks at midnight - everyone and everywhere!  We watched the fireworkds off the balcony - people shot them off from their backyards up and down the valley.  It was awesome!  They were going off for about an hour - I think.  I'm not sure.  I fell asleep shortly after midnight again.  I guess I'm kind of a party pooper!  Sometimes travelling really wears you out!

My uncle and cousin
My uncle and cousin
Heidelberg red roofs
Heidelberg red roofs
Another little cousin playing
Another little cousin playing
Heidelberg on the Necker River
Heidelberg on the Necker River
I cant remember the name of this …
I can't remember the name of this…
Me at the castle
Me at the castle
Kleines Fass (small barrel)
Kleines Fass (small barrel)
Heidelberg