Day trip to the castles

Fussen Travel Blog

Schloss Hohenschwangau

I took an early train from Munich to Fussen so I could get in line early to buy tickets to the castles.  Apparently January is not the busy tourist season, as there were hardly any people there.  I went up to the counter and asked for a combo ticket auf Deutsch.  Apparently I didn't sound German because the ticket seller asked me, "Welche Sprache?"  to which I stared blankly at him.  He repeated, "which language?"  oh!  English!  I guess my German needs some work.  I can't understand their accent and they can't understand mine!

I started at Hohenschwangau - King Ludwig's childhood home.

Hohenschwangau
  I really enjoyed the tour, but I seem to remember listening to an English audioguide during a German language tour.  But maybe that was a different tour at a different location - I can't quite remember.   I liked this castle tour better than Neuschwanstein.   You get a pretty nice view of Neuschwanstein and the lakes from Hohenschwangau.

Next was the hike up the hill to the big castle.  My parents highly recommended the carriage ride up, but I decided I was in good enough shape to walk it (and too cheap to pay for a ride!).  I really wanted to hike up the trail to Marienbrucke - I heard you get a really nice view of the castle from there.  Unfortunately, the trail was closed because of snow, although I did see footprints of rebellious hikers.

Neuschwanstein, from Hohenschwangau
  I figured I would slip off a cliff or something terrible if I went hiking up there alone.  I continued on up the hill.  By the way, you have PLENTY of time between tours to walk up the hill, even if you walked backwards with your hands on your ankles.  They schedule the tours a few hours apart.

When I got up to the waiting area at Neuschwanstein, I joined about a hundred other people waiting.  There were tourists everywhere and I could hear many different languages being spoken.  As I was by myself and I'm not very outgoing, it was a long and lonely wait.  But I enjoyed myself by people watching.  I heard an American couple talking, so I asked them if they would take my photo and I'd return the favor.  They weren't very interested in socializing (they were on their honeymoon).

Me at Neuschwanstein

After a long wait, I finally joined the English tour.  I actually wasn't very impressed with the tour.  Sure the rooms were big and fancy, but something was missing.  You couldn't take photos in either of the castles and I didn't buy any postcards, so I can't even remember what any of the rooms looked like.  Except one big long room with reddish carpets.  That might have been the ballroom or something.  I was too far away from the guide to hear much of the spiel.

After the tour and gift shop, I walked outside and looked up behind me.  I think that was my favorite view of Neuschwanstein right there.  I went down to catch the bus back to catch the train.  Either I missed my train or it was late because the train I was supposed to take wasn't there.

Marienbrucke
  I really had to use the bathroom, but I didn't see one at the station and I didn't want to wander around town in case the train showed up.  The train finally showed up about an hour later and I ran onboard to use the bathroom.  To my horror, when I flushed the toilet I saw the railroad tracks and rocks beneath me!  Oh no!  I just left my toilet paper at the station (at least it was only number 1).  I felt terrible and I still feel bad about it!  I remembered something Rick Steeves wrote in one of his books:  never use the train toilet while stopped at a station, unless you really didn't like that town.   Now I try to time my flushes in between towns.

Neuschwanstein, back