Stuttgarter Weihnachtsmarkt

Stuttgart Travel Blog

Christmas Market - Gluhwein

I flew into Stuttgart and was extremely relieved to see my aunt waiting to pick me up.  This was my first trip overseas alone and I didn't know how to find my way anywhere yet.  I didn't even know their address or phone number!

We stopped at their home to drop off my stuff and then my aunt took me to the Christmas Market in Stuttgart.  We walked around shopping, buying Christmas presents.  It was a bit cold, so we stopped at a Gluhwein booth - sort of like mulled wine.  I didn't care for it much, so I got Kinderpunsch (non-alcoholic).  And I got to keep the mugs - a nice, cheap souvineer!  (you pay a deposit for them which you get back when you return the mugs).  The Christmas markets are fun - there are booths full of different crafts like candles, wood carvings, belts, ceramics, paintings, you name it!  And lots of booths selling different types of foods.  Even though it was cold, there were lots of people out.  Probably doing last minute Christmas shopping!  I really was surprised at how many people were out and about in the cold.  Back home people don't like to go out when its cold.  They might drive someplace to go shopping, but then they will get back in their car to drive to another store less than a block away.  Here everyone just goes wherever they need to even in the cold.

Christmas Market