The day things went wrong.

Lisbon Travel Blog

A cold beer in the hotel room after a day where everything went totally wrong

They day started as a normal one but it went all wrong. I started in Santiago do Cacem with a car that needed a repair and some hours later my car was in Setubal in a garage for 5 days. I asked the garage to call me a taxi and the one that could take me the harbour because it was shorter to go by the water than the road, and the ferries sailed pretty often to Lisbon.

I had packed some of the things from the car but I could not take much. The smiling taxi driver that arrived did not speak any English so he did not get the harbour thing but drove the 50km to Lisbon; the price was fair only 52€, so I did not complain. I told him to put me off at Rossio; the only thing we could agree upon - but we smiled a lot, both of us.

I got off at Rossio and walked a little bit around before I found an internet cafe and checked booking.com. I found a good offer for a 5star hotel in the city centre; the price was around 100€ but I had told myself that I at least deserved to sleep in a great bed on top on a day that had changed my holiday planes somewhat.

I took a taxi to the hotel and checked-in; the hotel was great, it was just what I needed after a wasted day on phone calls and stress. I had nothing of my personal stuff with me and I needed at least a tooth brush, deodorant and a phone charger.

While I was getting my things together, I had a cold well deserved beer in the room before leaving again.

It had been 12hours since I found my local garage that could have fixed the problem in a day and now I was in Lisbon far from my hotel and without any car. I just hoped the next day would be better, but I was not really sure.

A cold beer in the hotel room afte…
A cold beer in the hotel room aft…
Lisbon