A beer in a Hilton Hotel

Vienna Travel Blog

An Austrian beer in Hilton

I had been driving to Vienna and I was staying at Hilton Vienna Danube mainly because one of my friends was staying there and it was in close proximity to the Vienna Trade fair. The hotel is located along the river and it was quite easy to find getting there by car. The hotel had a parking garage under the hotel, it was not free but the price was 15 euro per night, which I found fair.

The reception was a level up from the parking area and they quickly found my booking. The guy in the reception was really service minded and he gave me a virtual tour round the hotel. I was going to stay at the hotel for 4 days and for some lucky reason I was given a room with a river view on the 4thfloor. When I entered the room I was quite pleased, the room was large but not huge, There were 3 windows facing the river and the first thing I did was to remove the curtains just to get some light in to the room. The view was towards the river but it was not a magnificent view. The best about the view was that there was no one in front my windows.

The room was quite long but not so wide, all the furniture we made of dark wood that gave the room a classy but gloomy feel to it. The bed was just what I love, it was a king size bed with a perfect feel to it. The headboard decoration was likewise dark but also gigantic. In the end of the room in front of the windows there was a nice sofa arrangement, it was a room that grow on you. There was a nice desk in front of the sofa, which made it a perfect place from where to work. Another thing that worked really well and made this one of the better business hotels was the really fast Wi-Fi connection. The bathroom was nice and fairly large with a huge mirror with a great light around the frame, which made it quite special.

The first evening I was there I had my evening meal at the hotel in their restaurant called WATERFRONT KITCHEN. When I arrived it was almost empty or it looked so because it was quite large and much larger than I had anticipated. When I first got a view of the place I was quite sad that was not here during the summer when it would have been possible to sit along the water outside on their terrace.

It didn’t take long before a smiling waitress addressed me with a menu; I ordered a beer straight away while I looked at the menu. The beer came fast and it was a local Austrian one with a nice foam line. As a starter I went for their grilled goat cheese served on a bed of salad with a sweet and sticky dressing that turned out to be perfect, it was one of the best I have had in a long time. For my main dish I choose a sirloin steak with grilled vegetables and a potato tower. The steak was great but the dish was almost too winterish with the brown pepper gravy that I had ordered, so I decided to have their fruit dessert with vanilla ice cream to end the meal just lighten up. It had been a good meal but quite heavy.

The hotel had also a small bar area called the PIER 269 BAR & LOUNGE and like at the restaurant this would have been perfect on a summer evening where it would be possible to sit outside. The bar area was facing the river and it had some huge windows covering the entire area facing the water so they had tried to benefit from the location as much as possible.

The service was fast and being a conference hotel as well as a business hotel they had a good crowd every evening while I was there, and it was using the benefit of serving a rather large hotel. Their drinks were absolutely not cheap but their beers were quite fair. The bar was only a place to meet-up with your colleagues before going to a restaurant or having a nightcap before heading to bed as long as you could not use the outside area.

On the top floor they had their executive lounge for their top Hilton loyalty members, where I had the possibility to with one of my friends. From there you had a great view of the river, but as the hotel was limited in height it was not possible to see the town.

The hotel was located some 15-20 euro in a taxi from down town, 40 euro from the airport and 10 euro from the exhibition area of the Vienna trade fair area. It was a really nice hotel where I would not hesitate to stay again.

photo by: EmyG