Tasting my first Anchor Steam Beer

Stockholm Travel Blog

A cold beer at Bistro Jarl

I was back in Stockholm and it had been two weeks since I was there the last time. I decided to stay at the same hotel; the Scandic Anglais because there is a great ambiance in the neighbourhood. I had decided earlier that day that I didn’t want to fly up but travel there by car instead; the drive took me around 6 hours. I arrived at the hotel and the parking was full, so I just parked the car outside and went in to check in and then find a place for the car afterwards.

There was a parking some 500 meters from the hotel and I headed for that; it turned out that it was under reconstructing so it was really dusty but they had space so I decided to use it anyway. After entering ground floor again after the all the dust I spotted the Bistro Jarl on the opposite side of the road; a place that I had not been at before and a place that was always crowded.

A nice and well tasty Anchor Beer at Baren in Hotel Scandic Anglais

I was able to get a table outside which was really nice because the weather was quite nice. The place was almost full and people were dropping in all the time. Even though this place obviously was to wine I decided to go for a beer. The beer came fast and was nice but mostly because it was cold; it was a mainstream lager.

After my meal I decided to go back to the hotel and call it a night, but first after a beer in the bar of the hotel. Last time I was there I had spotted a beer in their beer bottle fridge that I had not tried before. It turned out to be a rather pleasant surprise. First the waiter told me that it was ale, so that was what I expected from the taste but it turned out that it was a pleasant tasting beer; it was an Anchor Steam Beer made in San Francisco.

San Francisco's Anchor Steam, has been brewed 1896, and is apparently still almost handmade. The beer has a nice deep amber colour, a fairly creamy head, and good flavours.

The Anchor Steam derives its unusual name from the 19th century when "steam" seems to have been a nickname for beer brewed on the West Coast of America under primitive conditions and without ice.

The brewing methods of those days are a mystery and, although there are many theories, no one can say with certainty why the word "steam" came to be associated with beer. For many decades Anchor alone has used this quaint name for its unique beer. In modern times, "Steam" has become a trademark of Anchor Brewing.

A cold beer at Bistro Jarl
A nice and well tasty Anchor Beer …
A nice and well tasty Anchor Beer…
photo by: Chokk