Can you visit Aachen outside Christmas season?

Aachen Travel Blog

A Sion Kölsch

I had been avoiding Aachen for a long time because I originally wanted to visit the city while they were having their Christmas market. Facing that my time in Belgium was coming to an end I had to give up that combination; I decided to go for no matter what.

Aachen is situated just outside of Belgium and I had been driving by many times on my drives around in Europe and especially on my way into Germany. It is not that it is far away, only about 1½ hours drive from Brussels.

I entered the city centre together with the whole population from the surrounding region, apparently there was a fair in the city where all non- or semi-professional artists could display and sell their work. I was lucky to find a parking in the middle of the city and after an hour’s walking found myself sitting in a little restaurant or gasthaus where I ordered a local small Sion Kölsch. This was one of the local nice cold beers. When I see the picture I still scent the activities on the market and crowded streets; it turned out to be a nice day for a visit. Besides all the commotion surrounding the fair the city centre itself was worth a visit anytime; the cathedral also being a UNESCO site was beautiful.
photo by: Adrian_Liston