Relaxing on Lake Bunyoni, and visiting a local Pigmee tribe on an island.

Lake Bunyoni Travel Blog

Wow.  The first day I have gotten to sleap in!  I had the most relaxing day today.  I woke up at 10am.  It was our day of leisure because tomorow is my groups day to go Gorilla Trekking in the Congo.  I took a nice hot shower, and then walked around to check out our amazingly beautiful campsite/ resort.  There is canoeing, and swimming and exploring to be done.  A few of us decided to go to visit an island later that had a Pigmee village on it.

We were at the docks and there was this tree you could climb to a platform and jump off into the water.  I really did try to do it, but my fears of both hights and water took controll and I did not.  I climbed up the tree, and got on to the platform, but then it started swaying, and I had a panic atack.

I couldnt move, and my friend Adam came up the tree behind me to encourage me.  I told Adam that if he valued his life at all that he would go back down the tree and let me get down.  I was completly serious.  Hahahahaha.   It was soooooooooooooo scary!!!  I watched them do it from the safty of the dock.  :)

Anyways, Chris and I negotiated our trip to see the Pigmees.  We do a better job then our own tour guide!  I am going to go get ready and write more later.

Ok, so the Pigmees were amazing.  The boat ride over to their island was beatiful, and very relaxing.  Beautiful sceenery.  I bought clothes, tissues, tooth brushes, food, socks, etc to bring to the tribe.  The children met our boat and were all over the seven of us that went.

They were holding our hands and kissing our arms.  Singing, dancing, and skipping on the road to their village.  The chief and his wife and tribe danced for us, and then they dragged me to dance with them.  It was very interesting.  I gifted the chief and he was very grateful.  He distributes everything to the tribe so they dont fight over anything.

Back on the boat it was an hour journey to the base camp.  We stopped at a local village on another island, and Dennis (Our boat navagitor who I became good friends with) bought us sugar cane.  He broke it open for us and we sucked the pulp and chewed it.  It was very sweet.  I think I tried it befor in China though.

Back to camp, we all had dinner, and then hung out around the fire pit.  We made friends with Henery, who was one of the guards.  He let us hold his gun, and told us crazy stories around the fire.  It was fun.

I am going to see the Gorillas tomorow!  I hope I can sleap as we have to get up at 4:30am.  YUCK.  I am so exited about it that waking up early is a small price to pay.

cordobazo says:
Great stories man. I have never been to Europe, but I think I want to see Africa first. Something about the human connection experience with these people, make you a better human being.
Posted on: Oct 14, 2009
Africancrab says:
Wow, I'm so glad you got to have fun here and relax
Posted on: Jul 10, 2009