Getting out of Dodge!

Birch Bay Travel Blog

William and I left Seattle around 12:30pm and got on the highway, heading north towards the Canadian border. As usual, the traffic from Everett to Arlington was horrendous. We did a slight detour off the interstate and traveled along Chuckanut Rd., a beautiful drive, as well as the home of Taylor's Shellfish Farm. It was really crowded at Taylor's...more people that I've ever seen there. We waited in line about 30 minutes before heading out with our four dozen of oysters, which had been harvested that morning. Side note: Taylor's was once featured on the TV show Dirty Jobs during a geoduck harvest.

We finally arrived at our campsite at Birch Bay State Park and set up fairly quickly. It was a pretty nice campground with lots of tall trees (shade). The main reason we chose to camp at Birch Bay was to see the unofficial fireworks display that hundreds of people set off over the bay. It has to be one of the best unofficial displays in the state.

We did a quick drive through town and made a short visit to my in-laws who were staying with friends at a rented cottage owned by a guy named Dave. After helping to poish off a bottle of wine, we headed back to our campsite and bedded down for the night.
Birch Bay