Swamp Tour

Port Canaveral Travel Blog

The Atrium

Once again, we had to clear immigration at 7:30 so were up at 7:00. There was a long line but it moved quickly. (For some reason, this time, once a person cleared the screening he/she was free to leave the ship.) Afterwards, we had breakfast in the Windjammer, checked e-mail, & returned to the room to check VM & make some calls. I went back up on deck to take some pictures & call Charlene while Lin took a nap. Charlene told me of the death of the wife of a good friend so I spend some time on the phone with him. At about 10:00, we got ready for our side-trip & grabbed a snack in the Windjammer. We'd signed up for an airboat tour of the swamps. After navigating the maze of the cruise terminal, we boarded the bus for a 1/2 hour trip to "Lone Cabbage", and then boarded the air boats for a pretty nifty ride.

Our captain was pretty entertaining. Sure would be fun to drive one of those puppies! Had snacks of deep-fried alligator on the deck before re-boarding the bus.

Back on the ship, we grabbed lunch in the Windjammer, and then I sat on the Sun Deck in the shadow of the stack while Lin took a nap. At one point, I went down to take a nap as well but there was too much noise so I went back up. Eventually Lin joined me & we read for a while, and then dressed for dinner. I'd wanted to sit in the Viking Crown for the sailing but didn't like the music there so we went to the Windjammer to hear Fred. Man, can this guy play! I got his card so I could make this LINK.

For dinner, I had shrimp scampi & it was delicious. Lin had what was supposed to be chicken Marsala. She said it was good but very different. After dinner, we went to the show in the Palladium. It was good but we were both falling asleep so we left. Got to bed around 11:30.

This is obviously a great port for those wishing to spend a day at Disney World or one of the other attractions near Orlando. It's also a key port for RCCL and I think it's where they do most of their provisioning. Beyond that, I don't see a lot to recommend it. The port itself is far from everything and I didn't see taxies so it appears you're pretty dependant on the cruise line if you want to do something something other than loaf on the ship.
Port Canaveral