Our First Visit to Freeport

Freeport Travel Blog

Woke just before 10 & found the Internet connection down so couldn't check e-mail. We had some great omelets in the Windjammer but the place was an absolute zoo! Unlike other cruises (except Disney, of course) there are zillions of kids on this cruise.

We sat up on the Sun Deck for a while but Lin left to walk around & I moved to the Solarium pool where I alternated between sun & shade. I met Lin @ 1:00 & we had lunch in the dining room. At our table was a guy on his 80th cruise!! All were on RCCL. Yikes!

We were scheduled to dock @ 1:00 but the captain said the Gulf Stream was particularly strong so we wouldn't dock until close to 2:00. While we were eating, we docked. After lunch we packed a bag & headed for shore.

The ship was docked far from any town. We considered taking a bus or taxi but a zillion people had the same idea so we rented a Nissan "Bluebird" for $65. On a suggestion, we headed for Port Lucaya & looked around the shops for a very short time, then walked across the street to the Westin where we swam in the very warm water at the beach.  We walked around a bit more & headed back to the ship where we had some wine & cheese on the balcony before dressing for the Caribbean dinner.  Had marguerites in the Schooner. There was supposed to be "Romantic Dance Music" in the Viking Crown at 10:00 but there was not. We had one drink in the Champagne Terrace but the music was not our cup of tea so we left. I tried to check e-mail.  It was very slow but I got a message from Charlene about the deaths of both Alex Sherinski ( a pilot friend) & Marge Cross (wife of a friend with whom I'd worked for years).

Frankly, I was pleasantly surprised by Freeport. We'd been to Nassau twice and didn't like it at all. The geography was nice but we didn't like being accosted every few minutes by people who appeared to hate us but love our money. What we'd heard was that Freeport was worse. As we approached the harbor, the area we saw was decidedly unattractive so our prejudices seemed to strengthen. Despite our trepidation, we ventured out and were very glad we did. Whether we had bad information or things changed with time, we found the people to be delightful! The island was very pleasant and , though we drove around quite a bit, we didn't see a lot of obvious poverty. We were never once accosted and, even in the shops, there was absolutely no pressure to buy anything. Quite the contrary, the shopkeepers were almost universally warm and friendly. The folks at the car rental agency were both friendly and helpful. This is definitely a place to be considered for a future vacation!
photo by: Jamal1280