Key West Travel Blog

One of the disadvantages of deck 8 is that it's right under the pool deck. Our cabin was under the Solarium pool area but there must have been people partying up there because I heard noises over our heads all night.

Because of new post-911 security laws, we had to go through a security check before anyone could leave the ship. As a consequence, we were up @ 7:00, had breakfast in the Windjammer, and were in line at 8:10. They started clearing people @ 8:15 and we were through in a few minutes. Unfortunately, a few people failed to show so everyone was delayed until about 10:00. For us, the delay was inconsequential but I'm sure to others with specific plans for the day, it was infuriating. Why some people feel they have the right to delay literally thousands of others is beyond my ability to comprehend!

We just walked up & down Duval St.

& then had lunch at Turtle Kraal's on the waterfront. I had conch fritters & Jamaican Jerk Hogfish. Lin had a Cuban pork dish. As we were leaving, the reproduction of the yacht America docked. What a beautiful ship!

We returned to the ship and, as usual, I sat by the pool & Lin took a nap. About 5, we dressed & headed for the Viking Crown for the sailing. While we were there, we met 2 delightful ladies, a woman of about our age and her mother. The mother, Delores, "warned" us she might get arrested at Coco Cay! She said she'd traveled extensively but really wanted to swim naked in the ocean! She was a rip!

We went to the Crown & Anchor party, then to dinner. Only Opal & Yasmin were there. Afterwards, we went to a "50's & 60's" party in the South Pacific & listened to piano music in the Schooner. This pianist, Fred Potvin, is phenomenal! We got to bed about 1:00.

I'd was in Key West a few years ago for a sales meeting and really liked it. I thought Linda would as well but she was unimpressed. Duval Street is THE place to go but, I must admit, it's much more interesting at night. I think of Duval Street as "Bourbon Street, but clean". Even in the daytime, there's a fair bit going on and there are a zillion little shops. Some are quaint; many just have tacky t-shirts and the like. Since sailing is in my blood, IMHO, the nicest area is down at the yacht harbor. One can only lust at the beautiful boats there. The bottom line of the trip, though, was that Lin says she's not terribly interested in going back.
Key West