Departure from Baltimore

Baltimore Travel Blog

Bay Bridge

having left home about 8:00, we got to Baltimore at about noon, then had to drop the bags, park the car & take a shuttle to the ship. Since we’re going on another cruise in October, we decided to get a less-expensive cabin and were assigned cabin 4554 but when we checked in, we learned we'd been upgraded to a junior suite, cabin 8050. Better location, lots more room, and a balcony; nice!

They were running late so at first they said we'd start boarding @ 12:30 but it was close to 1:30 by the time we did. It was frustrating to have to sit in a crowded and not-too-nice terminal for so long but, in fairness, they had said we shouldn’t show up until 2:00. It’s just that, in past experiences, we’d always been able to board early so we thought we’d try to beat the crowd.

Bay Bridge
I think those who came at the appointed time probably walked right on.

Dropped the carry-on in the room & had lunch in the Windjammer then Lin took a nap while I swam & read by the pool. The day was overcast but warm & humid.

One concern was that the bags delivered to our cabin were not ours & there was a bottle on the desk with someone else's name on it. These people had apparently been upgraded as well. We were assured it would get straightened out.

After the muster drill, we went to the Viking Crown for the sailing. After sitting there for a while, we returned to the room, ordered a cheese plate & a bottle of wine from room service, & enjoyed it on the balcony while steaming down the bay. I’d brought along the portable GPS from my airplane so I fired it up to track our progress. I've done that before and it's a kick 'cause I always know where we are.

We were at table 15 on deck 5 for dinner. Located on the upper level of the dining room, it's a table for 8. Others were Mike & Diana from near Baltimore, and Lee & Jennifer from near DC. The other two seats remained empty. Our waiter was Lemon from Philippines and his assistant was Francesco from Chile. The head waiter is Kirk from Jamaica.  Lin & I both had cod for dinner. It was only OK. As in most of our previous cruises, our table was among the last out.

Lin & I had a drink in the Schooner Bar, then moved to deck 5 over the Champagne Terrace. Both venues had good combos. The one in the Schooner played some great jazz. I learned later it was made up of musicians from the show band.

Got to bed about 11:30.