Nearly ready to go

Cardiff Travel Blog

I finally got around to pulling together all the tickets and bookings to make this trip happen. It's been weeks of moving dates forward and reading hundreds of hotel reviews on TripAdvisor, but I eventually found the right hotel, in the right location with hopefully the right room at the right price. Cannes is an expensive place, there is no getting around that and I remember some of the places along the sea front the last time I went, they're big, boutique, and the car parks are usually full with super cars and super stars with room rates exceeding £500 per night. Couple that with the fact that I'd pushed the date forward into July, the high season, at 3.30am I made a few large purchases though not at those rates!

It's good news, the hotel seems promising, I have first class tickets on the TGV Train which will tear me through the length of France, all one thousand miles in about five hours. It seems like a good way to see the whole of France in a glimmering glance. I have to stop of course and originally my plan was to stop overnight in London, but as I've been to London plenty of times I thought it would be best to stop in Paris for two nights and get a taste. This also helps with making the connection due to the hour time zone difference, the different stations needs, Gare du Nord and Gare du Lyon and the check-in process at the EuroStar. The whole trip involves three high speed trains, each increasing in speed for each leg of the journey. I'll be traveling the width of the UK to London by Intercity, treking across London's Westend to the even quicker Eurostar train and ending up in Paris for the first part. It's then another early morning rise on the third day to find Gare du Lyon to catch the TGV. This should be quite an adventure.

Setting up camp in Cannes I hope to invade a couple of the private beaches and a few decent restaurants and later jumping the train to Monaco and then Nice for the Jazz scene. Unfortunately I've missed the Cannes Jazz festival by a day or so but Nice will be having theirs. It'll be good to see some French musicians. I am also looking to take another trip to Saint Tropez which I found a clean and safe affluent area last time I visited the Cote d'Azur. I think the word affluent really is understating it, but it's not a huge place and difficult to get to but worth while when you need to get away from it, especially if you're feeling creative. Hopefully I can fit a couple of blank canvas.

I'm also looking to visit the small fishing village of Beaulieu-sur-Mer, a quieter place where residential houses over look the rocks and small sandy alcoves that reach into the sea. It's a handy stop with a small station between Nice and Monaco. Possibly a good place to unwind before heading into the mini-vegas Monaco and returning back to electric Cannes.

The return will be racing back to Wales from train to train in one day with a few hours stop in Paris and London on the way.
CosmicTen says:
I'll see what I can do. :)
Posted on: Jul 04, 2009
jenn79 says:
sounds like an AMAZING itinerary. Of course I hope you spend all your time being creative in the multiple talented ways you know how =) But if you have time to blog, I'll definitely be following along!! xoxo!! =)
Posted on: Jul 04, 2009