Surprisingly Enjoyable Portland

Portland Travel Blog

We awoke to a beautiful day. While we had no great hopes for Portland, we found it to be a delightful town. I got some great photos as we entered the harbor. We were off the ship by about 9:30 and walked along the waterfront. Evaluating a number of options, we bought tickets for a lighthouse tour by boat on the "Odyssey". Unfortunately, the next available cruise was at 12:45 so we had a lot of time to kill. There were a lot of cute little shops but many were not opening until 11:00. We didn't care much about shopping so it really didn't matter. I had second thoughts about the light coat I was wearing so I returned to the ship for a heavier one. That turned out to be a hassle because security was a real gauntlet. However, a few hours later, I was glad I had it!

Lunch was lobster (another small one) on the deck at Gilbert's Chowder House, after which we headed to the pier where we met Jim & Sharon from IL.

We sat with them on the top deck of the Odyssey for a great 90 minute tour narrated by Capt. James Harkin. He was a real riot! In spite of our warm coats & the bright sun, we damned near froze to death but the tour was great. Capt. Harkin said that Portland Head Light is the most photographed in the world. Seeing the picture, is it any wonder?

Back on land, we walked the 1/2 block to the Old Port Tavern to warm up. Lin had a bowl of chili & I one of fantastic lobster stew. Jim & Sharon came in & we asked them to join us.

Back on the ship, we had just started packing when Faith called to say she was headed for the rock climbing wall so we ran up to bear witness and record the event on film (oops... on a digital card!), then returned to complete the dreaded task & head for the Centrum.

The last dinner was sad as always. Afterwards, we set out the bags before watching the show (a comedian) & returning to the Centrum. Just about the whole gang showed up so it was a fitting last hoorah. We went briefly to the Vortex but Lin & I didn't stay long.

This was a most pleasant surprise!  Because it's a fairly large city, I wasn't looking forward to this stop at all but, boy, was I wrong!  This is a seriously cute town!  There are a lot of nice shops but somehow it doesn't feel like a tourist trap.  The waterfront is quaint and the lighthouses are absolutely magnificent.  This is yet another on the must-return list!
Rommel, Tarryn and Eugenia