Quaint but Touristy Bar Harbor

Bar Harbor Travel Blog

We both slept relatively well but were up a bit before 8:00. We got our breakfast in the Windjammer and ate it by the taffrail, then went topside to get an overview of the harbor. This was a tender port so, once we were ready, we had to pick up a tender ticket, then wait almost an hour before our number was called. While we were waiting, Mom & Dad came buy. They had number 6 (we had 4) so I suggested Dad get his cell & call me when they got ashore so we could have lunch together. When our number was called, we went down to find total chaos as they'd not yet debarked everyone from the previous number. It was pure Bedlam down there! I hate tender ports!

We eventually got into Bar Harbor & began to explore.

I tried a couple of times to call Dad but without success. We kept looking for them & Lin eventually spotted them near the dock. They'd just arrived and Dad had no cell service from Sprint. We agreed to meet at 12:10 and set off again. This town is rather cute but terribly touristy; I don't have a powerful need to return.

We decided on the West Street Café for lunch. I had steamed mussels to start & they were quite good. Dad & I had lobster. He said his was tough. Mine was OK but I think it was the smallest I've ever had. They were billed as 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 lb but I'm skeptical. In any case, it was a nice lunch & we set out again, this time to explore the shore trail. Mom & Dad started out with us but a guy from UK commented on Dad's Rotary jacket so they stopped to chat while Lin & I continued to follow the shore path for maybe 1/2 mile, then took a path into town.

We decided to visit St. Savior Episcopal church & were fortunate in that a tour was almost finished. Had we been a few minutes later, the door would have been locked.

When we got to the tender dock for the ride back to the ship, confusion reigned once more but we eventually got aboard the tender. Lin stayed inside but I was able to ride on top & that was at least not too crowded. When we got to the room, Lin naturally took a nap. I wrote in the room for a while but eventually moved to the Solarium area to finish catching up on my diary.

Tonight was formal night. We got dressed & tried without success to find a bar with music so we ended up at the Captain's cocktail party where a waiter promptly dropped a tray of Champagne, drenching my left leg! I got pretty well cleaned up & they gave me a voucher for dry cleaning.

Dinner was French. I had escargots & duck á l'orange & both were excellent. Lin had pear soup & filet mignon which she proclaimed "OK". After dinner we set of to find my folks. We figured they'd be in the Schooner Lounge but took a quick look in the Centrum. We didn't see them but the trio was playing a slow song so we decided to dance. Just as the song finished, Lin noticed the folks about 3 feet away sitting with a couple from CA. We joined them for a bit & had a portrait taken of the four of us. Eventually, we gave up & went to bed.

The name of this town is well known and, in truth, it is rather quaint. Unfortunately but not surprisingly, it's pretty touristy. Nonetheless, we enjoyed it and did nothing more than wander around and have lunch. There were a zillion shops but I didn't see anything compelling about any of them The scenery, however, is magnificent and it's pretty hard to take a bad photograph! Cute place.
Mom, Linda and Dad