Cruising the Saguenay River

Saguenay River Travel Blog

I'd set the alarm for 6:30 but was up by 6:00 & on deck 11 forward by 6:30. The point of all this was that we were entering Saguenay Fjord and we'd been told that that the best place to see whales was here at the mouth of the Saguenay River. It was very cold and a strong wind was coming out of the fjord. While not quite as cold, it was distinctly reminiscent of Glacier Bay. We eventually saw a lot of whales but they were all Belugas and I never got a picture. By 7:15, I was frozen through so I went back to the room. We'd agreed to "do our own thing" for breakfast so Linda had ordered room service. As a result, I ate alone in the Windjammer. Lin & I wandered a bit & ended up in the cinema to watch "Haunted House". It was a silly but entertaining.

Afterwards, we had lunch & Lin took a little nap, gambled a bit & had a spa treatment while I went to another photography lecture, had a snack in the Seaview Café, & took a nap myself. I’m obviously getting old!

Dress code for dinner was smart casual. We had before-dinner drinks with many from the group in the Centrum. Eugenia had said the chateaubriand was medium or well so I ordered salmon. After I did that, however, she said she'd find me some rare chateaubriand and put it on the same plate. She did & both were excellent.

After dinner, many of us ended up at the Vortex for "Romantic Dance Music" but stayed on for the faster stuff. One thing that's especially nice about this ship is the friendliness of the crew. A lot of the waiters were dancing with Linda G., Gloria, Faith and Chris. At one point, I took a look into the cigar bar where a trio was playing and ended up dancing with a waitress. Her request, not mine! Eventually, we moved to the Centrum until the trio there quit, then returned to the Vortex. I probably danced more in one night than I have in 5 years! With the ship bouncing around, it was a real kick! When we quit it was 12:45 but we had to set the clocks forward to 1:45. Ouch!

Chris, Faith and Linda
Chris, Faith and Linda
Chris kicks it up again!
Chris kicks it up again!
Like mother, like daughter!
Like mother, like daughter!
Saguenay River