Beautiful but crowded Peggy's Cove

Peggy's Cove Travel Blog

On the way to Peggy's Cove

The clocks had been moved forward an hour to Atlantic Time. We got up at 7:30 with delivery of our coffee & tea and I ran up on deck to watch us come in to port. As we docked at Pier 21, they had drummers, bagpipers & a town crier on the pier to greet us. We met my folks for breakfast in the Windjammer at 8:30. We’d previously reserved a car with Avis so when we finished eating I called them & arranged for the van to pick us up. It arrived just before 10 & took the 4 of us to the Avis office on Grafton Street to get our car. With Dad navigating, we headed for Peggy's Cove. The drive was absolutely beautiful & I stopped many times for pictures. Peggy's Cove is tiny, beautiful & absolutely over-run with tourists. The area near the lighthouse was especially crowded & the gift shop was jammed.

The lighthouse is situated on a windswept piece of rock & is particularly picturesque. The harbor area is small but I think you could aim a camera anywhere & get a good shot! We'd decided to forego lunch at the lighthouse and were therefore a bit pressed to move on to find lunch. In retrospect, it would have been better to have eaten in that tourist trap & then been able to spend a bit more time at the harbor & to stop at the Swissair 111 memorial & elsewhere along the coast.

We had a hell of a time finding a place to eat but eventually found ourselves at the Trellis Café in Hubbards, NS. This was definitely NOT a tourist trap but rather a "colorful" local spot. The delicious chowder was made from haddock & the whole wheat bread was homemade. An interesting and delightful thing happened just before lunch, however. We were starting to really get hungry and, seeing a guy selling apples along the road, I stopped to ask if he'd sell me four. He let me have the four apples but then refused payment. "Happy Thanksgiving" was all he said. Ya gotta love people!

While it is also overrun with tourists, Peggy's Cove is absolutely stunning. It's even tinier than I'd envisioned but there's a lot of "quaint" packed into a small area. A person who fails to bring back a ton of great photos is a person without a camera! The drive between the two places was also picturesque, enhanced by the autumn leaves. This was just a great place to visit.
Dad, Linda, Faith, Chris, and Mom
Dad, Linda, Faith, Chris, and Mom
Its hard to take a bad picture in…
It's hard to take a bad picture i…
Mom & Dad