Budapest to Vienna

Vienna Travel Blog

Fresh baked bread at the gas stop. But make sure to count your change.
Today was our first road trip in Europe. We were going from Budapest to Vienna and hoped to make it there in about 3 hours. After a late start, we had to get the brake lights fixed on our car, we were on our way. Our first stop was to a gas station to get the necessary passes to be able to drive on the highway. We figured that since we stopped we might as well grab a bite to eat and use the restrooms.

We were following another car and saw that part of it was dragging on the ground, some miscellaneous piece of plastic that wasn't necessary for the car's ability to run, but a piece that should be fixed none the less. So after about an hour driving we pulled over to a gas station that had a mechanic on staff.
Driving into Vienna
We fixed one car while we had lunch. The lunch was pretty good. Not like the 7-11 rotisserie hot dogs you'd get here, rather, fresh baked bread, goulash and sauteed vegetables. Though we did have a good lunch and we did get our car fixed, I almost fell victim to a scam here. I bought a diet coke and was given change back. I don't normally count my change but something kept bothering me about how much i got back from the cashier. Upon doing some calculations, the cashier shorted me almost 2000 forint, roughly 10 US dollars. Which isn't that much but when you consider that all i bought was a diet coke. Fortunately I was traveling with some Hungarians and were able to communicate my issue. The convenient store also had cameras on the registers, so I was able to get my money back.
Johann Strauss Denkmal
So beware and count your change! You never know who wants to take advantage of you. After that ordeal, we were on our way.

The drive took a little longer than I expected. It took about 3 and half hours when initially I thought it would take 2. But no big deal, as long as we got there safely. When we got to town, we looked for our hotel, the Marriott. Little did we know that there are 3 Marriotts here. Of course the one we went to was not the one we had reservations in. Instead of checking into our hotel, we decided to walk around and let the hotel know we would need a late check in.

We parked the car and started walking. Our first visit was Stadtpark. It's a lovely park outside of the main area in Vienna with beautiful gardens and a statue of Johann Strauss.
Innere Stadt
This is also where there are concerts and musical performances. Unfortunately we weren't able to attend any of them. There weren't many crowds and the people here weren't in a hurry and were there just to absorb the vibe, sitting, relaxing, watching the world go by.

Then we made our way to the Innere Stadt, the main part of the city. I loved the cobble stone streets, the old and historic buildings, the glorious churches and the statues that are all over the city. The Innere Stadt was amazing. I've never experienced a place with such beauty. The tons of people walking around just added to the charm. The shops were amazing and the displays in the windows were works of art within themselves. I could just dream about having one of the apartments that overlooks the activity of the square.
Empty street of Grinzing
It's breathtaking. We walked around for a few hours, making sure to see (and photograph) all of the tourist sites, ie. stephansdom, the winter palace, etc. Everywhere we looked there was something new and spectacular. We ended up at Graben square where we could absorb the vibe of the city. We had some Austrian beer, some Austrian appetizers and last but not least, some strudel.

When we got to our hotel, we had just enough time to clean up then we were on the go again. We decided to go to Grinzing which was a bad idea. Since we went in May, the summer crowd was still at home and although the weather in Vienna was gorgeous during the day, as soon as the sun went down, it was bitter cold. All of the restaurants and bars were closed by the time we got there. The only one that was open was and indoor place with a bunch of rowdy, beer drinking, smoking young adults, which is fine, but we wanted to have a quiet, delicious dinner. We got neither. We ended up at the buffet that had the left over food that nobody wanted. Shortly after dinner, we went back to the hotel and got drunk at the hotel bar.
Fresh baked bread at the gas stop.…
Fresh baked bread at the gas stop…
Empty street of Grinzing
Walking towards the Innere Stadt.
Walking towards the Innere Stadt.
Austrian street
Hofburg (Imperial palace)
Josephplatz
Josephplatz
Innere Stadt
Enjoying the Vienesse vibe at the …
Enjoying the Vienesse vibe at the…
Austrian beer.