Los Barrios

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

Start of the market in San Telmo
I spent this weekend walking through some more of the neighborhoods around Capital Federal. I went to an antique market in San Telmo which was really cool. The market was set up all throughout the streets with various venders and tables selling different stuff. There were people playing music and dancing Tango in some of the squares as well. I was also in San Telmo last night to see a band playing and it is totally different during the day. It has very beautiful, ornate buildings, but most of them are in disrepair because the wealthier owners have since moved to Recoleta. During the day many tourists and local are in the streets, but by evening noones really around which is why it can get kind of dangerous.

From San Telmo we found our way down to Boca which is one of the seedier areas of Buenos Aires, but again it's fine during the day when there are lots of people around.
Our teacher warned us about something called "Express Kidnapping" where someone in this area will snatch a person, call someone in their cell phone for a ransom and then return them. It only takes about an hour for this whole thing to occur, thus the express. But again, during the day these human atms don't happen. La Boca epitomizes Buenos Aires and I'm sure most of you have seen a picture of these brightly painted neighborhoods. It was definitely the most touristy place I have been yet.

My big accomplishment this week was figuring out some of the bus lines. The bus is super confusing here because it's difficult to figure out which direction a particular bus will take you and where the actual stop is. I have this map called "Guia T" which is like the bible for getting around Buenos Aires.
Antique pots and pans
It divides the city up into quadrants with corresponding buses so with the help of this and some kind people on the bus, I think I have mastered two bus lines... there are about 100 in B.A... so I have a long ways to go. The other great thing I discovered here is that you can get anything imaginable delivered. They have all these people on bicycles or scooters with baskets or little coolers in the front who will bring anything to your doorstep.

I also am now halfway through my certification class. I have taught several classes as well with lesson plans that I had to design myself. The most difficult part is coming up with a subject to teach that fits the particular class level. I think I am getting better at gauging how advanced my students are and whether they are understanding something. Overall my classes have gone fairly smoothly and I am much more comfortable teaching.
Tango dancers
Tango dancers
Park dedicated to los desaparecido…
Park dedicated to los desaparecid…
La Boca