AsiaMalaysiaMiri

A Day in Miri

Miri Travel Blog

Mulu NP

This morning we finished packing and went for our last breakfast in Mulu. I was sad to leave Mulu, it had been a wonderful experience staying in the rainforest, I was going to miss those jungle noises! Our plane to Miri was at 8:30am, a trip that took all of 15 minutes on the Prop plane. We left our bags in storage at Miri airport and took a taxi into the town. We had 8 hours to kill before our flight back to KL , we chose a later flight so we had the opportunity to see what Miri had to offer. We were dropped off in the town centre where a Chinese Temple was nearby.

Mulu NP
We had a look around it, the small temple was rather colourful. Outside was a pond which was home to a heap of small turtles and some fish, the water was disgusting it was a wonder the turtles could swim through the thick slop. Having looked around the temple which took all of 20 mins we had to find something else to do so we wandered through the markets which was packed with spices and produce, Malcolm and Julie headed to the fish market but Vaughan and I wouldn't go as we can't stand the smell of fish! I had read there was an excellent craft market in Miri but its only on the weekend, pity. We explored the town centre looking for craft/souvenir shops so we could do our last minute shopping. We spotted one called Borneo Crafts and it was perfect, inside was like Aladdin's cave! We didn't know where to look first. The wood carvings were amazing.
Mulu NP
We spent a good half an hour or more wondering around. I walked out with a few wooden artefacts, ones that would fit in my pack! There was so much more I wanted to buy. A shopping mall was nearby so we headed in there, I had to find an Internet cafe so I could check in and increase the baggage allowance now I had a heap of souvenirs to carry home! It was getting towards lunch time so we found a nice cheap little noodle place, for about 3 ringgits you got a curry, rice and drink!

For the afternoon we thought we would check out the lighthouse, it was quite a way so we took a taxi. The lighthouse was unusual because it was the shape of a giant seahorse! There was a nice restaurant next to it that look like a giant longhouse. Inside was gorgeous, dark timber everywhere and it looked very up market, we sat out on the terrace overlooking the ocean and had a beer.

Our Plane MAS WINGS from Mulu to Miri
Looking at the food menu we guessed it was a fish restaurant! Some of the stuff on the menu I wouldn't dream of eating even if I did love fish. Sea Cucumber, Parrotfish and other colorful tropical fish that we like to look at when diving was all here on this menu and carried a very expensive price tag. To get back to the road we had about a 2 km walk, the surrounding area wasn't much to look at, it had potential for development though. Walking through the scrub we picked up a heap of grass burs and they stuck to our socks and pants. Julie was walking through the scrub the longest and ended collecting about 100 of them!! we spent some time helping her pick them all off! Eventually we got to the main road and waited for a bus. It was hot and after about 15 minutes we came to the conclusion no bus, not even a taxi was coming past.
Chinese Temple in Miri
So we walked down to the nearest hotel where we were very much welcomed and they called a taxi for us. Back in town we found a nice Irish bar, sat outside and enjoyed the happy hour beer, we had dinner at the restaurant next door and the food was delicious, cheap and no chicken on the bone!

Soon it was time to go back to the airport and get our Air Asia flight back to KL. Miri was OK for a few hours but I don't think I would rush back anytime soon. We arrived back in KL about 10pm and we had booked two rooms at the Tune Hotel, a budget hotel at the airport which saved us a long trip all the way into the city. The hotel was walking distance from the terminal, for about 60 ringgits a night it wasn't bad. The rooms were tiny but they were clean, modern and had a great shower!

Mulu NP
Our Plane MAS WINGS from Mulu to M…
Our Plane MAS WINGS from Mulu to …
Fish Pond at the Chinese Temple