Another Day in Sipadan

Sipadan Travel Blog

Malcolm

Woke up in the night to the sound of banging and pounding rain, a storm had come in and was lifting the window shutters! We both got up to lock all the windows down and closed the balcony doors. A few hours later we were woken by the alarm for our trip to Sipadan, the rain had stopped but the wind was still up. We went outside and what was a calm lagoon you could now surf! The palm trees were bent double there was no way I was going on any boat in this. We wondered down to the dive shop to find Malcolm but not Julie, she heard the storm and decided to stay in bed! I should have done the same.

The dive masters had told Malcolm that the boats were still going, but he was secretly hoping they would cancel the dives this morning. I decided I wasn't going but if it calmed down I would go with the breakfast boat about 10am. A storm was bound to have stirred things up so I imagine the visibility was going to be really bad. Vaughan and Malcolm hesitated but decided to go. I went and checked with the dive crew to see if it was OK to go out with the breakfast boat and they said yes so I went back via Julie's bungalow to tell her. I didn't get back to sleep so I just dozed then went down to breakfast with Julie about 8:30am. It was the first time we had breakfast at the resort and I was looking forward to it only to be disappointed with cold sausage and egg noodles, the only thing hot was the toast which I cooked! By 9am the wind had dropped and diving looked more appealing but I still didn't feel like going, I was tired and wanted a lazy day, we hadn't had any real relaxation since arriving in Malaysia.

Just before 10am Julie headed down to the dive shop and I started to walk back to the bungalow and by the time I got there I changed my mind about diving. I didn't spend all this money and come all this way not to dive so I grabbed my stuff and ran back to the dive centre and it wasn't a short distance either! When I got there the boat wasn't leaving for another 15 minutes so I could have walked here!! We got onto the boat with about 20 freshly filled tanks and boxes of food and had a great run out to Sipadan Island. Vaughan and Malcolm were still diving but were happy to see us when they came back to the Island. They told us the visibility wasn't great which didn't surprise me in the least after a night of unsettled weather.

We did the last two dives and the vis was shocking I could barely see my hand in front of me on the first dive, when a turtle swam out from under a ledge and passed your nose you got a hell of a surprise! The last dive was slightly better but the current was really strong and it was hard to take photo's. We had a different group on the boat this time some Germans and Italians had joined us, our Dutch friends were diving Mabul and the Swedish couple had left the resort. Back at the resort we had lunch then retired to our bungalows exhausted, Vaughan and I both started to write up our dive logs and soon fell asleep! Before dinner I went down to the shop and bought myself a t-shirt. At dinner we met up with the Dutch couple and we swapped stories of the days events. Tomorrow was a more relaxing day, we could enjoy a sleep in as we were scheduled to go to Mabul!

Sea Cucumber
Little and large!
Little and large!
Sea stars near our bungalow
Sea stars near our bungalow
The bananas are so small!
The bananas are so small!
Dinner and drinks with our Dutch d…
Dinner and drinks with our Dutch …
Sipadan