Arriving Kuala Lumpur

Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog

 › entry 1 of 13 › view all entries
This is a continuation of our England blog 'Back to the UK'

After a pretty good 12 hours flight on Air Asia X from London where we had three seats each to ourselves where we could stretch out and sleep, we arrived KL late in the evening around 9pm.  Getting through passport control and customs was all very smooth, we found the taxi desk where for 62 ringgits we purchased our taxi voucher.  The cab ride in was pretty good although the speeding and cab driver talking on the phone was a little unnerving, its not a short journey either into KL, it's about 75 kms! When we got into the city centre, it was buzzing with people, the cab driver told us everyone goes out Fridays and Saturday is the quiet day! It took us as long to get through the traffic to our hotel than it did to get here from the airport. We finally arrived at the hostel Red Palm about 10:30pm, we signed in, dropped the bags, had a shower, changed into our tropical getup and headed next door to the little Indian place for dinner! The food was very nice, Vaughan had a Nasi Goreng and I had a curry with garlic Naan freshly made straight out the tandoor oven, I think the whole meal cost us about 5 bucks! We were staying in Bukit Bintang district right in the heart of the Golden Triangle and within easy walking distance of the towers, restaurants and bars. We couldn't have chosen a better spot. Neither of us were tired so we walked down the street and mingled with the hoards, Vaughan found himself a Starbucks which made him happy! Then he found an ice cream stand so had to have an ice cream. By the time we got back it was 1am, Vaughan watched some TV and chatted with a couple of other travellers and I went on the Internet.  It was a nice little hostel, only could take maximum 15 people, it was cosy, friendly and the staff were wonderful. Our room was huge, the only thing I didn't like was the ceilings didn't go all the way up to the roof and a drape was the ceiling so you heard the dorm next door and the double next to that so not that private.  There was only one bathroom upstairs shared between 4 rooms of which one was a dorm so you couldn't always get in there when you wanted. The other bathroom was downstairs off  the kitchen.  Still it was fine for a couple of nights and tomorrow we would be meeting Malcolm and Julie.  About 1:30am we finally got off to bed!
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!