Denied.

L'Aquila Travel Blog

Our next stop was L'Aquila. Simon had been in Canada visiting me when the earthquake struck there. He didn't know anyone who lived in L'Aquila anymore, but he did phone his mom to ask if she'd felt it in Rome -- she did. So there wasn't much discussion between us both as to whether we'd go there or not. It was important to us both to go and see what happened.

Our mood was somber as we entered the city. More horrendous traffic, but we quickly found out that it was because most of the city was still completely closed off -- at least at the epicenter of the quake. As we entered the city, we noticed dark blue Ministry of Internal affairs tents all over the place, to house people who are still displaced and without homes. There is a heavy presence of all kinds of aid workers and military in the city, and we couldn't even really see the center at all. However, it was enough to see places on the outskirts, and as we drove on. There was evidence of damage everywhere, and it sobered me even further to see the destruction on homes made of brick and stone. Old, yes, but SIGNIFICANTLY more solid craftsmanship than our flimsy homes of plywood and vinyl siding in the Vancouver area. What will happen to us when the big one hits? I don't know enough about it... :/
L'Aquila