Anavatos, Lithi Bay!
Chios Travel Blog› entry 6 of 10 › view all entries
The "Mystras" of the Aegean
Anavatos is a Byzantine tower-village that is found in the central region of Chios. It is quite impressive due to the fact that it plunges into a large granite rock at the top of the cliff. Although it is a deserted village, it still preserves its history, a sensation often encountered by visitors when wondering through its stone-paved streets. The Greek War of Independence (1821) and the Massacre of 1822 describe an important chapter in the island’s history and are directly associated with Anavatos.
The Church of the Taxiarchis (the Archangel) is still preserved. It is the only building which stills stands out amidst this living ghost-town. Not far from the wall’s gate, there is an overbearing structure which protrudes amongst the buildings along the east side. It is the so called “three-story” building, consisting of an olive oil press, school and water reservoir and the Church of the Theotokos (the Virgin Mary). Anavatos, with its tower-like houses, arches and steep cobbled roads, emphasizes the force of nature and accentuates the supremacy of the heavens.
|he beach in Lithi is a long beach with a very beautiful port at the end of the bay. The landscape is magnificent. The visitor can enjoy the sea and its peaceful waters.|
The area is renowned for its tasty and fresh fish and seafood offered at the taverns.
Sunset in Lithi is superb!!!!