Day 2 to Day 4| Interlocking enclaves

New York Travel Blog

People that contributed to the journey- Melchior Koopman & Pierre Martz

Day 2

I arrived the hostel at 12 midnight after an awe-inspiring sight from Empire State Building. Before we got on the lift to 86th floor we’ve been taken a photo by an in-house photographer with green backdrop where they superimposed it with Empire State Building and one should collect it when done. But I spent more than 2 hours on the deck that they scrapped it off when I wanted to purchase it as I went down. It’s nowhere to be retrieved as the woman said to check it on their official website. Ahh I didn’t bother to do that as it looks cheesy anyway.

Back in the dorm they were 2 other backpackers already sleeping, the Finnish had gone. They were 2 French boys on their trip to Peru and 5 days stopover in NYC.
Time square
In the morning we had breakfast in the kitchen and I started mingled with them and they planned to do the ESB observation that day.

Afterwards I went to Guggenheim Museum as it was raining that my day was better to be spent indoor as the museum itself was a sight to see. I studied architecture and Frank Lloyd Wright is one of the famous architect that started innovative designs which reflects the needs and requirements of aesthetic in regards to its period of era and time. Half of his design has been materialized and half un-built including Baghdad Masterplan comprising of university,town,residential and office masterplan located in Iraq.

The French boys were on top of Rockefeller Centre and it was before the shower that they still had a magnificent view. Later that day the rain continuously pouring and I spent strolling down from one avenue to another with umbrella.
Ground ZERO
Funnily there was street seller tried to sell ‘Obama Condom’. I passed Macy and wondered inside for a bit to see what’s with this (claimed to be) the World’s biggest departmental store. Later that night I spent couple of hours around Columbus Circle where the new striking twin tower were. I adored the sleek design.

DAY 3

I was supposed to have checked out and stayed at another hostel pre-booked today. Basically my intention was that the other hostel room has only 4 bed dorm and it would be less bothersome. But the 8 bed dorm that I have stayed 3 nights only occupied by 4 people so it was make much sense not to move out and carrying backpack could be a hassle. I called the other hostel to cancel and they bloody charged me the first night however! I had purchased cancellation fee while booking which a simplest meaning that they would refund the booking charges and no fee applied on cancellation.
Columbus Cirle. The newly sleek twin tower and Donald Trump's Tower beside.

Melchior and Pierre were staying in the hostel another 3 nights and I ended up touring with them. That day ( Sunday) we headed off to one end of Central park on 110th Street and started walking in the park where a lot of New Yorkers cycling, running and chilling out. Stopped in the middle we had lunch on 72nd Street West. The burger was fulfilling. Afterwards we continued our walk back into Central Park and we passed an event called Tel Aviv Beach day. It was some kind of family event for Jewish community. As we nearly finished walking we stopped and there was a group of people marching around with banner says Free Palestine. It was nothing dramatic really.

We continued taking subway to 23rd Street to see Flatiron Building. The building that nicely designed and placed on triangle shape in Broadway between Fifth Avenue and 23rd Street.
Central Park
It’s a three-dimensional building brought to life. Museum of Natural History allows free admission on Sunday after 5 pm so we rushed to get there only spending 45 minutes inside as it’s closed at 5.45pm.

That night Mel and Pierre had a reservation for 2 in French Restaurant near East Houston Street in Soho. It’s true that in NYC most nice restaurant requires reservations. Don’t aspect to get a table if you walk-in on the day you want to dine. I walked around in SOHO, NOHO and NOLITA neighbourhood and passed by NYU. We met up in a pub and spent an hour before we took a taxi back to our hostel.

DAY 4

Today we departed to South Ferry Terminal to take free ferry ride to Staten Island. I did that 2 days earlier and didn’t mind going there again. Afterwards we strolled down to lower Manhattan to see Ground Zero and we had our lunch on the plaza. The food sold by this moving cart mostly Middle-Eastern food were tasty.

Later we headed to Brooklyn Bridge. We parted ways afterwards, I went to Museum of Modern Art (MoMa) and Mel and Pierre went to Guggenheim Museum which I’ve done 2 days earlier. Back in the hostel we decided to have our dinner in the restaurant 10 minutes walking from the hostel called Amy Ruth’s- The reigning Queen of Harlem. The food was ok and hangout with likeminded traveler was great. After dinner we strolled in the neighborhood to ‘The Pour’-the pub that usual hangout for Columbia University students. The next day Mel and Pierre had to wake up early to catch their outbound flight to Lima, Peru so we headed back around half 10pm.

www.travbuddy.com

Transitory says:
ummmmmmm? IDK, so many chains, I hardly go to 'em :)
herman_munster says:
Yeah it's not too bad. But we had good lunch in this chain restaurant that famous for Pizzas and burgers. What's the name? I saw 2 of them one in 72nd strt and another in East Houston Strt..
Transitory says:
yeah totally and the food is meh compared to what you can get in the south but not too bad at all....mmm high cholesterol
Ground ZERO
Columbus Cirle. The newly sleek tw…
Columbus Cirle. The newly sleek t…
New York