Blue Lagoon Travel Blog

I wasn't planning to go to the Blue Lagoon this time, since I was there with my parents in 2000. But my friend wanted to go, and at the lovely price of 5900 ISK for both bus and entrance, it seemed like too good an offer to give up. There is much to be said about the icelandic economy at the moment, but it's the best thing that has happened to us lowly travellers ;)

Even though it felt like a really long bus-ride, desperately trying to keep my eyes open, the scenery is really something else. Nowhere else have I seen such nothingness as these huge moss-covered lava fields. (well, I saw a lot of nothingness in australia too, but it's different...)

The blue lagoon wasn't too crowded with tourists when we were there, thankfully, but there were still lots of people.

It's still an amazing experience, floating around in this warm, white water. Suddenly your body is so light, and it feels like you're moving with a grace you couldn't possibly possess on dry land. And covering your face and body with pure white silica mud feels so good. And you look funny, so you can laugh a bit at yourself and your friends, and everyone else. 'cause really, where else will you see heavily tattoed grown men floating around with facemasks on?

Getting out of the water was another experience completely. Never have my body felt so heavy, and so hard to move. It felt like every single step was a huge effort, dragging my big, heavy body around.
Aussienordic says:
I am green with envy reading your account of the blue lagoon. It IS an awesome place. I went then about 6pm on a winter's night. Snow flurries and only about twenty people there. It was surreal floating about in the warm water in the dark surrounded by snow. One of my special memories from 2007.
Posted on: Aug 22, 2009