Princeville, Kapa'a,

Princeville Travel Blog

Slept in late because of yesterday's craziness with the airport and what not.  The whole family decided to take a trip up north to see the Kilauea lighthouse which is located on the North side of the island.  It took about 30 minutes to get there because you have to drive island style which is slow.  I don't remember the speed limit ever going above 50 mph.  Once we got there we found that we were 15 minutes too early but decided to enjoy the view from the top anyway.  After they opened the gate we drove down to the lighthouse and enjoyed the view from there.  Went through their gift shop which also had information about the birds that inhabited there.  Then we walked to the lighthouse.  You do have to pay to get in but it isn't too expensive.  I believe it was about 5 or 10 dollars per person.

The view was spectacular.

After that the ladies wished to shop so we headed into Princeville to shop.  I think that shopping center was way to overpriced.  If you're looking for souveniers, that is not the place to go.  The food there was great though.  There is a smoothie stand next to a hot dog stand that sells a purple fruit something.  For the life of me I can't remember the name of it.  It's a purple colored fruit blend that's topped with granola, bananas, and honey.  It was the one of the best things that I had tasted while on the island.

After about 2 to 3 hours we headed back to kapa'a to the hotel and went and swam at Lydgate beach for couple of hours.

My fiance' and I had to duck out a little earlier than everyone else because we had to go over last minute details with our wedding planner.  If by the way, anyone is thinking about planning a wedding in Kauai, please speak to Kaulei Campbell.  She works for Mohala weddings.  She is the best.  She also does tahitian dancing shows, and she can also book activities at a discount rate.

Anyway, after working out the few odds and ends that needed to be worked out, we all went to dinner at Mema's restaurant.  It is a Thai/Chinese restaurant.  I had the Lemon Chicken and the crab cakes.  They were both very delicious.  Then we ended the night early to get plenty of rest for the wedding the next day.

photo by: nycitalini