Cancun to Tikal Guatemala, overland.

Mexico Travel Blog

The first exploratory adventure began with a 3 week holiday to Cancun Mexico, with American Airlines, via Miami. It was independant travel, but i had pre-booked the first 2 nights in Cancun. I had big plans, but time and money was limited, and i only got to visit the main area, as far as Tulum and Kohunlich, from Chetumal. I stayed mainly in Tulum, and Player del Carmin.

I returned a few years later, and with another month, and a charter flight from Bristol-Cancun direct, i managed to get to Tikal in Guatemala, via Belize. And return the same way. I stayed mainly in San Ignacio, in Belize, which is near the border with Guatemala. It's a very nice town, small and friendly. There is a small Mayan Temple local. I got a mini-van/taxi to Tikal from San Ignacio. Waiting time 2 hours at Tikal. I was not keen on the danger reports of Guatemala.. so didn't stray too far, and the time was another factor. I stayed in a jungle cabana, with a local guide, who ran canoes up the Macal river for tourists like me. There is also the Mayan Temple of Caracol and others in the area. From Player del Carmin i also went West to Merida City, and Uxmal, and the temples further South. I went by bus, and stayed in Merida, and a local tout arranged a tour to Uxmal for me.