AsiaJapanNagoya

Morning temples

Nagoya Travel Blog

Asu Cannon temple in the morning

I figure I will start out this morning actually doing a little bit of sightseeing in Nagoya because I almost feel I have not seen anything of the city spending almost the entire day yesterday inside following the sumo tournament. I walk a bit south from where I am staying to a little temple called Õsu Cannon temple. It is an old temple close to the central part of the city. Originally the temple is from 1600 but in reality it has been rebuilt recently so the current buildings are only about 50 years old. But it is a nice little oasis so close to the centre of the busy city with a lot of people walking by this early morning - mainly kids on their way to a school somewhere in the neighborhood.

I walk a bit further down the streets getting further away from the central parts of town.

Asu Cannon temple in the morning
Down here is another temple. I did not really mean to go to this one - but it is sort of on the way - so why not have a look at it? Hence I go in and look around - I only intend to have a quick look around but I meet a woman who speaks a bit of English - who shocking somebody actually speaking English - she is a volunteer at the shrine and she wants to tell me lots of stuff about the shrine and Buddhism in general. In the beginning it is sort of interesting - but after a while I start getting a bit bored with her stories - because they are not really all that interesting. But there doesn’t seem to be an end to her stories. But it turns out she fortunately have other business with her bank so she suddenly have to get to the bank - and we walk towards the metro - we need to catch the metro from the same station - which gives her even more time to tell stories about the exterior of the temple and buildings we pass on the way. In a very low voice which is barely hearable. We finally get to the metro station and she insists on paying for my ride so I get a free ride with the metro as compensation for her fascinating stories.

I am heading down for a very important temple complex in the southern part of the city. It is home to Atsuta-Jingu.

Asu Cannon temple in the morning
It is not a super old shrine complex but it is a very important and highly sacred place. Apparently it is one of the three most sacred Shinto shrines in all of Japan. In the main shrine of the complex is the sacred sword kusanagi-no-tsurugi or grass cutting sword. It is one of the three main regalia handed down to the imperial family by the goddess Amaterasu Omikami. I would like to go in and watch the sword but there was a bit of a problem. Only the emperor of Japan and a few Shinto priests are allowed into the sword itself. And I did not manage to convince the guards that I was really the emperor of Japan - and I gave up on trying to pretend to be a top Shinto priest.

So I move along from the main shrine to the rest of the area. And as I walk along I meet a man in his early 60ties. He is retired and is out doing his daily walk of two hours or so in the area. He actually speaks pretty good English - two Japanese speaking English what are the odds for that? - and he has found memories of his business trips to Denmark.

Though most of his memories seem to revolve about consumption of Tuborg and Carlsberg beers - and lots of them if what he is saying is actually correct. He wants to take me around the area telling a bit about the different shrines. It is sort of interesting but I can’t really remember much of what he was telling. After a while we went down a small little path without many people - and suddenly he jumped up in the air - I couldn’t see why but then I saw the little black snake on the ground which he was quite nervous about. Hence we gave up on going that way and went the other way.

After walking the area for a while I figured I had to come up with some sort of excuse to get out of here and lunch was coming up soon. So I figured I might claim I was meeting some people to go eating. It was almost correct because I would go for a TB meet up in the evening - but not for lunch which was coming up in a right now. I go out of the shrine area to go to pick up my luggage and go to the station so I can get to Osaka in plenty of time for the meet up.
Nagoya