AsiaJapanKyoto

Leaving town in a hurry

Kyoto Travel Blog

The view from the top of my hostel

A few days ago I had agreed with Chris to meet up and go hiking today - because he got a day off from his teachings. But unfortunately his wife had other plans - she had arranged some sort of delivery to take place at their home somewhere between 9 and 12 in the morning. And from home I know what it means when somebody making delivery tells you they will get there between 9 and 12 - if you are really lucky they will get there at 12.30 and more likely around 14. So I did not have high hopes for our hiking plans.

So instead of rushing from Kyoto to Osaka I am taking it easy this morning having a look at TB and eating a leisurely breakfast. I had left a comment at Chris’ profile and he must be up already because he actually replied - and said the delivery had still not arrived - not a big surprise considering it is before 8 and we agree to try to meet up around 11.30 at Dotombori on the bridge - this was my suggestion mainly because my knowledge of Osaka’s geography is very limited and this was sort of the only place I would be able to identify with any kind of certainty.

Well I figure it will take forever before Chris gets his delivery so I will get another cup of coffee before I will bother checking up on Travbuddy again. When I finish my coffee I walk up from the kitchen area to take another look at TB - and right there is a comment from Chris - delivery have already been there and he has already left. WHAT. Delivery has already been there???????? Come on it is not even 9 yet. What kind of country is this - delivery arriving before they say it will arrive? I figure I better leave a quick comment for Chris and rush to the central station - if I am lucky I will be able to catch a train which should be in Osaka just before ten. I rush out of the door hoping I can catch the local train quickly and then I race for the shinkansen.

I get to the central station and stand down at the track waiting for the train to arrive and I figure I better give Chris a quick ring to let him know I am on my way and when I will be in town. He finally picks up the phone and we sort of agree to meet at the Shin-Osaka station instead of the bridge in the centre of town. Or this is what I think we agree on because the phone runs out of yens and at the same moment the train arrives so I have no time to call back. I get on the train and hope for the best - I will get to Osaka in about 15 minutes anyways so I can try to call again when I get there.

lulusartshack says:
I was surprised too when I was supposed to have furniture delivered between 9-11am, it arrived at 8:45! I've never had that happen to me before!
Posted on: Dec 26, 2009