Getting to the far north island

Wakkanai Travel Blog

Leaving Wakkania harbor

I get up pretty early to go on the morning train up all the way to the northern tip of Hokkaido the city of Wakkanai. It is pretty much at the end of the world when Japan is concerned and I even want to venture further away.

The drive up there is long and pretty slow - even though I am on an express train. But unfortunately the famous Japanese shinkansen trains have yet to be introduced up here on Hokkaido. The long drive along the single track railway is pretty idyllic as the train pass by different fields and small streams and forest along the track.

Finally I get to the end of the rail line and I have to find my way to the ferry - an ozzie couple is standing in front of me at the tourist information desk to ask for directions to the ferry terminal and they sort of get directions hence instead of asking for directions myself I just decide to tack along on their route to the ferry.  We have to wait a while for our ferries - we are actually going to two different islands. So we go for coffee and as it turns out these two will be the last people of European decent I will see for the next couple of days. They leave on a ferry a bit before me and then it is my turn to head on the ferry.

I get onboard an take a good look at the view of Wakkanai as we sail out of the port and then it is off for 1.40 hours of sailing.

Wakkanai mainland