Clouds and eclipse

Aso Travel Blog

I want to head up Aso today I feel like doing something active for once on my trip. Going up on top of a volcano watching the partial solar eclipse looks like an appealing idea. But the weather is not looking good at all. It is raining this morning and I got some doubts about the weather at the top of the mountain. I ask one of the ladies what the weather is like on top of the volcano - and she calls to check up on the weather - it will be foggy on top again. I can’t be bothered to go up in the bus again to see the dense fog once again - so I head for the train station instead.

I get down to the train station and try to organize my reservation for the next train. But something strange is happening. Apparently the train I want to go on is cancelled. But the Japanese trains are world famous for accuracy and not cancelling the service. I must just have misunderstood something because of some language barrier. But after a bit of repetition is becoming clear the train is indeed cancelled and I will have to go on a local train and change somewhere along the route.

Finally the local train arrives and I start riding the train. In principle I should be able to watch the eclipse from the train. But with a dense cloud cover the eclipse is nowhere to be seen - so I never get to see this astronomical event.

photo by: portia