Animals on the tracks

Wakkanai Travel Blog

The hill at Wakkanai

I get to the train station in Wakkanai hoping for an easy connection on my further travel - there are none - the fast express train has left for the morning and the next one is not for another 3-4 hours. Hence I look for slower options - like local trains. And there is one option which will take me almost to the city where I want to go - actually like three quarter of the way - and then I would have to transfer to another local train taking me the rest of the way. I board the train and we drive along - at the first bit of the route there are some nice scenery where you can look out a bit over the ocean surrounding Wakkanai - but soon we head towards the inland path of the rail tracks and the ocean is no longer in sight.

We drive through some pastoral lands which are occasionally replaced by forest and then suddenly a little group of deer’s head out on the tracks and the train comes to a halt until the deer’s realize the tracks are not really a part of their natural habitat and they should head towards the safety of the forest along the tracks.

I want to go to a small city in the central part of the island which is home to some famous lavender farms which people go to from all over Hokkaido -unfortunately this part of Japan is not really home to the superfast train the rest of Japan is accustomed to hence this fairly short journey ends up taking my entire day and I arrive late to Naka-Furano which is right next to the most famous of all the lavender farm. But it is almost dark by now - so the flowers will have to wait until tomorrow.

Africancrab says: