AsiaJapanOkayama

Afternoon in Okayama

Okayama Travel Blog

Okayama castle

Back on the mainland I head down to a small spot across the river. It is next to the castle of Okayama. I could go into the castle but I figure it is not that interesting to go in and see another reconstructed castle after I have visited the real deal in Himeji Castle. Instead I head a bit further to go into the big garden of the city. The Koraku-en is located on a small island in the river and it is supposedly one of the three best gardens of Japan.

On the way to the garden I pass by the main tower of the castle of Okayama and I now decide I have seen enough of the castle by now so I should only focus on the garden.

The garden is centered around a couple of huge lakes with several bridges crossing over the lakes - and naturally fish swimming around in the water. Next to the lake is a little hill from where you can watch out over the garden and see the lake and some of the flower beds. In one corner of the garden is a big cage with some cranes inside - after I have watched the cranes for a bit I head back out it is getting a bit late anyways.

Lasttraveller says:
I love sushi and sake and I went to Sake festival this year beat oktoberfest hands down.
Posted on: Dec 16, 2009