City of the Majestic Falls

Iligan City Travel Blog

While on the bus I am txtng my former agent Ken to recommend a place where we can stay for the night. We exchanged txt messages in between my naps until later on he found out that were only 6 of us so he offered that we stay at his home. Ken was waiting for us at the bus terminal an hour ahead of our arrival. It was sweet of him to ditch class so can meet us. On the terminal, I have not decided if we’ll take on his offer because I don’t want to hassle him further. He is on Med School (doctorate) and I don’t want him to feel compelled to accompany us because we were on his roof. But my friends gladly accepted the offer and said thank you’s all the way as if they knew him, I had no choice left I just laughed and obeyed. We took two jeepney rides before we get to Ken’s.
I was happy that along the way I saw a green mango vendor and I had the sourest mango in years and I loved the soy sauce in it. 

As we get to Ken my friends hurriedly get dressed to go swimming later that afternoon in Timoga Cold Spring. That will be after Maria Cristina, the third tallest waterfalls in the Philippines and then Tinago falls. In Maria Cristina we saw that they opened up the left dam so we saw the twin falls. My friend Dyan calls the first falls as Maria and the other is Cristina.  On regular days its only Maria that can be seen as they always close Cristina but when we got there Crisitina is also present. Haha. I presume they opened the dam because it rained hard the day before and the dam might overflow if they won’t free-up Cristina.
Made a mistake. Maria Cristina is only the third tallest waterfalls in PI.
It was awesome view. Its just sad that they no longer allow tourist to get near the waterfalls. After an hour in Maria Cristina we originally want to head to Timoga but I remembered in 2006 when Ken bragged about Mimbalot falls so I asked him if we could check there first before Tinago falls. He said we still have time if we are only going to stay for an hour.

Mimbalot falls is amazingly beautiful. Only a 3 minute walk from the street and you can already see its magnificence. I had no plans to swim that day but I couldn’t resist the waterfalls beauty. The water is so tempting I didn’t care to stay dry to take pictures of the place. I’m uberly glad Ken took the photographer position for me.  So far, Mimbalot was the best waterfalls I’ve ever been too.
I’ve been to several waterfalls already and they are all pretty but I can’t describe Mimbalot’s grandeur. If you want to be massaged by the falling water you don’t have to risk your life drowning while swimming against the current just to get under the waterfalls. Moreover, the rock formation made it very easy to climb up to the top.. Its one thing I can fare well with mountain climbers. Haha, kidding. But I can climb boulders but with this waterfall it’s relatively easy! I always loved the thrill, the mind work as well as the risk of falling and dying while on top of some slimy rock at high altitude. I could easily get disappointed if I can conquer a spot or get across boulders real quick but Mimbalot was different. It was so easy to climb up but the task is never boring! It even made me feel like a pro! Lol.
Though its easier to get a grip and a standing point it is still challenging because of the strong current trying to push you down, if you’re not careful and grown complacent about how easy the climb is you might get caught in the current and you’ll fall on sharp rocks below.

An hour passed and the plan for Tinago falls was all forgotten, lost at the beauty of Mimbalot has imparted. The current started to get stronger while it was getting dark. The sound of the waterfalls was no longer pleasant.. It sounded harsh and deadly that our active imaginations was already thinking of ghost and the other “not like us” beings. When this was mentioned, we all raced down without looking behind or at each other.. It was really fun!

Pool (Mari Marine Resort)

We can’t get over the majestic Mimbalot falls that even in the car we still talked about it.
We arrived in Mari Marine resort instead of Timoga because Ken mentioned that there’s a little waterfalls there. We immediately changed gears and wanted to stay where the spring at, instead. Before getting inside, we bought roasted chicken and cooked banana across the street for dinner. We're supposed to be at the little spring but we have forgotten it again as we talked for hours at dinner about the van incident as well as the Mimablot falls that Ken had enough of it and cut the conversation by telling us that, “how many times do I have to hear it?” haha. He wants to swim to the pool already so we stopped talking, cleaned the table and went to the pool. It was a nice resort, aside from the natural spring on the side of the resort their pool are exquisitely designed. Something I didn't expect in a small city. The pools are actually even better than the public pools in Cebu. Way way better, it’s clean and the water is fresh as it is flowing from the river above.
Made a mistake. Maria Cristina is…
starving!