I wish Berliners used "schleich dich"

Berlin Travel Blog

I suppose I have two things of interest to write about and I'll start with the bad event first, because I don't want to end on a bad note. Last night I went out with a few friends to some bars, and we had a pretty chill night. We had just stopped at a late night restaurant/bar to get some pizza and were waiting for our food at a table outside, when some guy approached us and was like "Are you American? How much?" It took me a second to realize that he was calling all American girls prostitutes. We tried to ignore him, but he just kept harassing us for absolutely no reason. I can't even describe how angry I was that we were sitting there minding our own business, not even talking loud or causing a scene and some stupid drunk man thinks it's ok to be so incredibly degrading and insulting. I won't go into all of the things he said, but they were extremely lewd and disgusting. After a few minutes of this I was like "GEH WEG!" and when he didn't seem to understand that I said (in a more colorful vocabulary) "Dude, GO AWAY, seriously!" Nothing made an impact, though and he just kept on saying things. This went on for a good five or ten minutes when finally a waitress asked us "Do you want me to get the bouncer?" However there had been people at two of the tables next to us, and they did nothing to help or chime in to make this man stop. Someone came and brought us our food while we were being yelled obscenities at, and didn't even bother to ask if, perhaps, this man was bothering us. It took the threat of a bouncer to get the man to slam his fist on the table and leave, while shouting a parting insult. The funny thing about the situation is that he was sitting there pretty much calling us prostitutes while we were all in fairly conservative clothing.. PLUS all up and down the street there were actual prostitutes in crazy costumes. So why he would bother the three girls sitting minding there own business when he could have gotten himself a real live prostitute a few feet away I will never understand. I know I shouldn't take it personally because there was nothing any of us did to deserve that, but still it rattled me. I did wish that my Viennese slang would have come in handy at that point.. alas, I'll have to learn some more colorful language for "get the hell away" or something to that effect.

On a happier note, my au pair-ing is going quite well. The baby is so cute, and it's fun to see how, even in the few short weeks I've been here, she grows by leaps and bounds. This year is totally going to make me start talking to myself though. When it's just her and me alone I'll start talking to her, like she has any idea what I'm saying in either language. I've also taken to changing the words to "business time" to whatever it is she needs to do. My favorite version of it is "It's eating, it's eating tiiiiime. I know what you're trying to saying you're trying to say it's time for eating it's EAT-ING time WOOOH" I find endless amusement in it, haha. And Soeren likes me more every day I think. Yesterday was my day off and I was leaving to go to my voice lesson and he was like "Where are you going?" When I told him he said "I'm coming with you!" He tried to get his bike and come with me, and when he couldn't he blocked me into the garage to try to get me to stay. It was super cute, and just nice to know he actually likes having me around. So there is the happy part of my entry.. I must now go attempt to sleep because this week has been fun but left me sleep deprived and so I have to try to catch up a little. Bis spaeter!
lindsaypo says:
I find endless amusement in your singing of "it's eating time" too!
Posted on: Sep 01, 2009
steph928 says:
haha, i love how you change the words to "business time." it definitely makes life more fun. :)
Posted on: Aug 03, 2009