Wine Tasting

Ovid Travel Blog

First, I'll comment that I entered Ovid as the location because it's rather in the center of our wanderings.  After a peaceful breakfast on the terrace, we reluctantly checked out and got on the road.  Our first stop was at Lamor eaux Landing on the east side of Seneca Lake.  The facility itself is beautiful and the wines are quite good.  Just a tad south of that, Wagner's is a huge and very popular winery.  Though we've done it a zillion times before, we took a tour of the facility before doing the tasting.  While their wines are good, this place is popular so there were mobs of people that they batch process in huge groups.  Fortunatey, you can opt for more personalized tastings for a small extra charge so broke from our group and did that.

Years ago, I felt that New York State wines were horrible imitations of the real thing.  Their wines have greatly improved however and I think some of their Rieslings are especially good.  Howver, out visit to Caywood Winery brought back echos of the past and we walked out after sips of two wines.

Our friend Hank had recommended Sheldrake Point Winery and they have a restaurant so we planned to have lunch there but, like Wagner, the place was jammed so we skipped it.  Lunch was on the terrace at Thirsty Owl.  The setting is great and they had entertainment so we spent quite a while relaxing.  Teir tasting room was jammed as well so we skipped it.  In fact, weekends are not the best time to visit unless you like crowds so, after I retire in a few years, our visits here will be strictly mid week. After a stop at Goosewatch, we came across a "Cherry Festival" that Linda had seen advertised.  It was unremarkable other than "Merlot Sorbet" that we tasted.  Having more or less run out of steam, we left the Finger Lakes and headed for Oswego.

Africancrab says:
I should love to attend a wine tasting there.
Posted on: Sep 16, 2011