Cliffs Amusements

Albuquerque Travel Blog

New Mexico Rattler

Late that night I drove into Albequerque for a hotel room. But the night wasn't over, I had to race over to Cliffs Amusement park to ride the New Mexico Rattler. The park closed at ten. I got there at 8:40. No, make that 9:40. I crossed a time zone and was gipped by an hour. At least this late you could get in for free. This is one of those little localparks with a monster wooden rollercoaster. I bought the ride tickets, ran over to the wooden rollercoaster, and discovered their strange idea of a queue. You had a choice of the front, middle or back, then  zigzagged at least three times before you got to the station. There was no line, but no way to make a beeline for the station. To get there, everyone jumped over at least three rails. I sat down in the train.

Saloon
Either they were no longer taking ride tickets, or didn't care. There were several operators up there. Only one girl walked down and checked all the seatbelts by herself while the others just stood around and talked. Then she closed the loading gates. Then two guys that were standing around doing nothing decided to help her check the lap bars. How thoughtful. This crew definitely had no fear of Dosh inspectors or shoppers reports. The ride actually packed quite a punch for being in such a small park, and coming back into the station we almost took out one of the operators standing by the track, who was probably dreaming of one day being old enough to drive. Since I now had unused tickets, I rode their log ride, where they still didn't take my tickets. The Galaxi coaster was closed, and I still have unused tickets since nobody would take them. So much for being honest, I could have ridden everything for free. Anyone going to Albequerque give me a call, since I still have ride tickets. After that it was back to my hotel room, and so ends day 1 of my road trip.

Albuquerque