Road Trip to Toronto - Overnight in SSMarie.

Sault Travel Blog

Eugene Levy from American Pie

Good evening all my travbuddies. This is another blast from the past. This blog is about a road trip we took back in May 2000.

We were doing a road trip from Thunder Bay to Toronto, Ontario. We drove and had to stop over night in Sault Ste. Marie as its a long long drive to Toronto.

Anyways. We started off our trip from Thunder Bay that morning and left early for on route to SSMarie. Its about 8 hour drive up the HWY 17 trans Canada to SSMarie.

Its a great drive all the way there as we follow along the coast of Lake Superior and see lots of great scenary.

We make its into SSMarie around late afternoon and drive around on the Great Northern Road looking for a motel to stay

After circling the block for a while, we make it to a motel and check in, its a good deal, for 45 dollars a night we get a 2 free movies for the VCR, the movies we get are American Pie and Private Parts with Howard Stern.

at.www.catalinamotel.com

Its a smaller city around 80 000 people or so. We leave our bags at our motel and go for walking around. The weather is quite cool and breezy. The air smells like sulphur as the steel mill is very close by, a stinky town almost.

We go for a supper at the nearby Burger King, as its a budget, so Whopper, Fries and a Coke tonight. It goes down quite well as a good start to the adventure. Then we walk over to the Great Northern Mall and walk around. Nothing too exciting here, a few stores but there is a huge Canadian Tire store. We enter the store and its really nice and lots of items, I go check out sales on wheelbarrows and garden hoses.

After leaving the store, we get back into my car and drive to the water front, to the Casino. Its the Sault Ste Marie Casino owned by the OLGC.

The Steel Mill - Algoma Steel
As this company would become my future employer, we take advantage and go in and gamble. ITs my first time gambling so I go to the slots machines and play the 25 cents machines. Within a period of about 15 minutes I have lots my 20 bucks, so that is it. I decided I had enough of gambling and its a waste of time. I shall not gamble again till about 7 years again.

Anyhow, I drive around town for abit more and go into some residential area, nothing too interesting, then next thing I know I am heading out of town, well its kinda small.

So the final decision is to head back to the motel and watch a movie.  We get back to motel and watch American Pie, its my first time seeing this movie. Eugene Levy is a really funny guy in this movies, I highly recommend this , unless you have a phobia for pies. lol

Anyways that was it for that evening. Early to bed as another long drive tomorrow on route to Toronto. Stay tuned for Toronto.

Sault