Lisbon Apr 08

Lisbon Travel Blog

Estadio Jose Alvalade

Over for a few days in April 08. Had been before, as my brother spent 10 years working here, but had stayed out with him in Cascais. First time since he had moved and therefore first time actually staying in the city itself. Yet another trip to see a game, this season was costing me a fortune and it wasn't over yet.

Went via Amsterdam,and with a real early flight,out of Glasgow, had enough time to go into Amsterdam for a while before going back to Schipol for the onward flight to Lisbon. Didn't wander far though as I wanted to make sure I would make it back to the airport.

Lisbon airport is very close to the city centre,in fact when flying in,depending on the wind direction, you practically skim the high rises in town before landing.

Arriving up at the Cristos Rei
Knowing it wasn't far opted to head straight to the taxi rank and fired off to the hotel.  Stayed at the Hotel Zenit which was quite good and close enough to the Saldanha metro station.  My mate arrived from London about an hour after I'd checked in.

Decided as it was raining to go up to Campo Grande and do a recce of the ground. Sporting Lisbon play at the Estadio Jose Alvalade and it was only 4 stops away. Had a look round it and it looked OK and then went to the shop as one of the women in my work had asked me to get a Sporting Lisbon strip for her son( it looks quite like a Celtic strip :-O ). With that done we headed down to the Cais De Sodre, where when I first went to Lisbon there was an irish bar called Henneseys. It had changed hands now but we still went in and then found a nearby reastaurant to get something to eat.

View back over to Lisbon

Met another couple of Bears and we decided to get a taxi and head up to the Hard Rock Cafe. Seems to be one in every city in the world, but this was the worst I've come across for drugs, not inside the pushers were kept on the pavement. Must have been approached 4 times between the taxi and the door. Every time I went out for a cigarette they still tried,after a few times the price had dropped from €150 to €100 and eventually getting really fed up I offered the guy €40. He tried to squeeze more money out of me but then decided to go for it and then I told him I was only kidding and for him to bugger off :-) . Got a taxi back to the hotel,which again wasn't that expensive.

Decided in the morning that we would go to the Christo Rei and headed down to Cais De Sodre to go to the ferry across to Cacilhas.

Bridge
There is a small bus terminus there and you can take a bus up to it, but we decided to walk and have a look about. Got there and it is a massive statue of Jesus,like the one in Rio De Janerio, and has a big cross in front of it. It is however on the top of a hill with a sharp drop and to take pictures you have to get quite near the edge .There was a gale blowing while we were there and thought I was going to get blown over a few times , but you get a nice view back over to the city and down the river. Headed back over on the ferry and went to the Cais De Sodre train station and took the train out to Belem.

walked along the front and came to the Monument to the Discoverers  and the old lighthouse before going to the tower. It looks great just sitting on the ede of the water but although it was used as a defensive fort, you look at it and think they had to be joking.

Down river
Still like I said I think it looks great. Walked back up to the main raod and through the gardens of one of the many grand buildings there. Think you could do a day in Belem on it's own, but we had other plans.

Back at the train station we decided to head out to Cascais for old times sake. Nice train ride along the coast and took about half an hour to get there. It does have a great beach but it wasn't the weather for it, but it was the weather for the Boca De Inferno, a series of caves eroded into the cliff with a narrow inlet so that when the waves swell in they crash loudly into it. Incredible noise and you have to shout to make yourself heard and  it was great that day with the sea being so rough. Went to the pub there,Chequers, that was my brothers local and we'd spent many nights in, and here we had dinner as well.

Cristos Rei
Got back on the train but got off just before the city centre at Alcantra, where they have done up old warehouses and made it into a great area for bars and clubs . Again out tot he early hours so it was yet another taxi ride to get back to the hotel.

Day of the game and a few more mates were arriving and we met them at Rossio, the main square about lunchtime. Went to the Hard Rock before they had to leave to get their buses and gordon and I went up to the ground on the metro. A 2-0 away win made it a great trip for us, and meant yet more expense to go to the next round.

Having been so many times before I wasn't pushing it to go and see a lot of the stuff. I chose the Cristos Rei and Belem as staying out in Cascais previously I had really just passed them on the train on the way into Lisbon.

Critos Rei
There are plenty of other things to do there and you can easily get to Sintra as well . A great place to go is the old Expo site and the Vasco De Gamma Tower.They also stage quite a few concerts down there as well. I really love Lisbon and would happily go back again,

torontobee says:
Great stuff Ian - we had our honeymoon in Lisbon (99) - stayed in Estoril, and the pics of Lisbon, Belem, Cascais, and the Chequers pub(!) bring back many happy memories.

Great Bears pics too.

Lighthouse and Tower at Belem
Lighthouse and Tower at Belem
lighthouse
lighthouse
View up the river with monument,br…
View up the river with monument,b…
Belem Tower approach
Gordon and Fara in the ground
Gordon and Fara in the ground
2-0 away win :-)
2-0 away win :-)
Waiting to get out at the end of t…
Waiting to get out at the end of …