In Phangan on empty days

Surat Thani Travel Blog

December 18-25, 2006

This is the first trip that i did it alone. More than 12 hours from bangkok, spent one week there. Nice trip that changed someone to be stronger.

Something made me ran away from bangkok.
Really needed a quiet place to focus on myself on empty days.
Somewhere in my country should be the best place for a person who has never travelled alone.
I love the sea so Koh Pangan was the destination.

Koh Pangan  is in Surat Thani  south of  Thailand. It's far from bangkok around 12 hours by bus. And another 3 hours by ferri. You can go by plane too but no plane goes straight on to Koh Pangan, have to take plane from bkk-surat thani then take ferri from Surat to Koh Samui and take another one from Samui to Pangan.

Why Pangan?
I wanted to be alone so Hua Hin beach, Pattaya beach or Koh Samed which are favourite beaches for thai people and close to bangkok but crowded are not a place for me.
And I heard about this island for a long time but have no chance to go yet.
The name of it was popped up in my head at that time and i knew if i was there,  no one - nothing in bangkok will follow me.

Then ...
1. I searched for Koh Pangan's info on www.pantip.com, famous webboard in Thailand.
There has every answers for every questions. People who knows 'thing' give an information to people who don't know.

2. Bought VIP bus ticket at Sai Tai Mai Bus Station. (There has another one on Kao Sarn Road by LOM PRA YA company)

behind the tree is Tong Nai Parn Noi, another beach.
Which beach?
Koh Pangan has many beaches, Had Rin beach is a favourite one which known as Full Moon Party beach.
There has party every week, full moon, half moon, dark moon, ..... Had Rin has never been alone.
But i didn't go there. Eventhough i went to Koh Pangan around full moon but i need a quiet place so i chose Tong Nai Parn Yai Beach. White sand, quiet, peace and calm. Many people call it as an adult beach.
Because most of people who come here are old :-)

If you are the one who always travels alone, you never know how scared am i!!
Excited, scared, scared, excited. The bus started at 7pm and will be there around 6.30 am.
I can't sleep but a beautiful view outside and the moonshine made me calm down.
I told myself, new, you're having a holiday, Fresh air is waiting for you which bangkok has none.

You are going to feel the sand and smell the sea so whatever will be, will be.

After a marathon sitting on the bus, and three more hours on the ferri, finally i was on Pa ngan. The cabs to Tong nai parn beach are parking at the bo tree. 100 baht per person so i had to wait until the cab is full. But if i don't want to wait for the other, i can do it for 700 baht per cab. No, i can wait.

I waited from 10am-12pm, no one wants to go to my beach, people came but they all went to Had Rin. The cab drivers came and offer new price, 600 baht and go now. I said no, 500, 400 and the last price  they said was 300 baht. I still said no, i can wait. (don't know why don't i go). Until 1pm, P'dam, a cab driver said "come with me". "only me?, i  don't wanna pay for 700." He said "don't worry, come with me".

a shot from my bungalow
P' Dam has moustache, look a bit wild. I was hesitating ... if i'm safe? But he said come in come in. Ok ok, go go go!!!

Along the way to Tong Nai Parn P'Dam told me about Pangan history. He was borned there. Many thing he said was different from what i heard before. If someone came and shared a cab with me, i might sit on the back of the cab and i might not have a chance to talk to him (local guy) and know about pangan in detail like this.

He thought i was going to work there. Don't i look like a tourist at all? He said , thai people don't travel alone especially women, never seen, most people who came alone are come to work. Hmmm....!

One hour later, we're here, tong nai parn. Safe, and he charged me only 100 baht :-D  So i gave him a tip.

I stayed at Central Cottage Resort, it's in the middle of Tong Nai Parn Beach. P'Pong, a manager at that time, helped me a lot and always checked me every day and night, he was worried that i came alone :-D All guests are foriegners and came with their mates or family. I was an only one who's Thai and came alone. P'Pong told me that most of Thai people stayed at Had Rin or Tong Nai Parn Noi because it has many many parties overthere.

After finished doing my hammock, time to go to feel fresh air!! Yuppy!!! This is the first trip that i can see a beautiful nature clearly. Different from coming with friends. They always has many activities to do, holiday with them is like school camping. Wake up, swim, play cards, lunch, swim, play cards, photos, dinner, play cards like this everyday.

But now i'm alone, i can do what i want,  have more time to look back to myself.
I looked at the sea, it is a mirror, what i saw was a light shadow in there. Ahh..Bangkok, something and someone that i ran away already took my spirit away. Tong Nai Parn had to help me get it back!!!

Normally I wake up very late. If i take days off, i wake up around 3pm. But here, wave sound was automatically an alarm clock.  Thought it was noon but just 6 o'clock in the morning. Haven't swum that day because i was not comfortable to swim with bikini, alone. Wearing a few pieces of clothes on the beach is not appropriate in my culture. But no, i didn't care about that, i have more than 20 bikinis in my closet.
But what i care was my "big" tummy. Afraid that they're gonna think A WHALE IS COMING!!!
So i just walked around the beach :-D  It's really nice.

love it
Why isn't my office here? POKE!!! Rapped on the head once. Holiday holiday, don't even think about office again!!!

First night was beautiful, i chose the best place to laid down to see a beautiful sky, stars up there and the moon has shone upon me. If someone turn off the bar light, i might be a little star on a sand stage for sure. hahaha  ...... I ordered some food with Singha beer .... eat, drink, eat drink, ... then blank ... my mind was gone to somewhere else, don't know how long. When back here again i thought  i was making a bowling score record? 8 bottles of Singha beer stood up in front of me as bowling pins! ... If I was on a TV show, doing a world record of singha beer book? Shit, I was acting as a broken heart, sad, drank it as it was water.

I thouht i saw twins, everybody's a twin. The beach has twin too???? Enough!!! And go to bed before you see it four!

Next morning i woke up at 6am, oh dear wave, woke me up again.
I swam today and gave yellow liquid back to the nature, no one in the morning so had more confident to wear bikini today!!! :-D  4 hours in the sea from 7-11am, crazy? But really feel good. While i was going to go back to the bungalow, i saw an old english guy came to me so fast .. i moved back. He said Hi and blah blah blah. He thought i was singaporean or indonesian cos he has never seen thai people came alone. (AGAIN), I had a few words with him and excused myself before things happened.
I'm happy to be alone, grandpa.

What i got from here?
Hmmm....
I wanted to take a rest and i did.

someone left her kid slept there :)

I wanted to run away from the chaos, i can do it.
Didn't switch on my mobile. Didn't check emails.
Didn't call my friends, That's really nice.
I had many paintings from this trip and write some strories also.
Learned how to stay alone, learned how to be calm.
First start to live all by myself was just happened.
Never thought that being alone for just one week can change someone to be a stronger.

Great!

Back to bangkok, stop thinking to live my life only for 'someone'.
Live for myself, be happy and share a happiness to people around me,
not only to one person as i ever did anymore.

After that trip, i went there again for another 3 times and stayed there not less than one week. One of four, i went with friends, we took a long boat with the other tourists to Had Rin to join full moon party.

now he's big one!

When i stepped there, i thought i was on Pattaya beach!!! Crowded!! People and bars. I don't like it at all but can't go back because friends wanted to stay so i took 3 buckets which means i drank 3 bottles of Sangsom thai whisky by myself to cheer me up!!! I can't remember much, just knew that around 4am i stood in the sea and next to me were foreigners who're peeing. They drunk. I looked at them for a while, don't know why, then a boat driver took me away and said 'don't look at them, they pee!!" haha, ok ok.

Then we went back to our bungalow by a long tail boat at 4am. From Had Rin to Tong Nai Parn takes 30 mins. I was totally drunk. The sea splashed on us made us so wet. Drunk and wet .... wet and drunk....  happy hour on the boat.

I don't go to Had rin anymore.

i miss the moon
My friends who stayed there over that night shared me some photos after party of Had Rin. Full of garbage along the beach, and many many people slept on the beach as dead people. I'm glad that i stayed in Tong Nai Parn.

After i went there often which made people remember me. Pangan is not a stranger anymore but became a friend. "come here when you need someone", I heard the beach said.  Also a whisper that  "Actually there has another beautiful beache on the other side of thailand too. Want to try to make new friend????"

Really? Yeah, why not???

That's why Lipe's trip has happened!!!

newtampo says:
Kim, nyprne: thanks for the congrats. Yeah I'll sure do.

mkrh: Thanks a lot. Glad you enjoy reading it. Happy holidays! All the wish back to you too! :)

Kora: Thanks a lot. Happy new year!

Kent: Plan it for your next trip. It's really great. Thank you!
Posted on: Dec 28, 2010
bcbusdriver says:
Well done New. I have never been there either. Might have to take my girl there this year, but not for Full Moon.
Posted on: Dec 24, 2010
Koralifix says:
Congrats on being featured today, New! Great job! ... Happy Holidays!
Posted on: Dec 24, 2010
tong nai parn beach
behind the tree is Tong Nai Parn N…
behind the tree is Tong Nai Parn …
now hes big one!
Tong Nai pan Beach
Tong Nai pan Beach
A bar at central cottage
A bar at central cottage
me and friends - my second trip.
me and friends - my second trip.
ahhh....that moon is so...
ahhh....that moon is so...
:-) on ferrin with friend
look at the cloud!!
look at the cloud!!
kissing ...
kissing ...
i dont know the name of them, but…
i don't know the name of them, bu…
another blue
another blue
upon my head
upon my head
very blue
very blue
basil with beef hahaha...
basil with beef hahaha...
eat here
first one
first one
empty .. here
empty .. here
another room of another trip ..
another room of another trip ..
mine
after 8 singha beers
after 8 singha beers
i saw thing like this.
i saw thing like this.
Hello.... welcome to my trip :)
Hello.... welcome to my trip :)
Surat Thani