Finding Waterfalls & Chasing Deer

Naga City Travel Blog

Mt. Isarog
This was our last and final day in Camarines Sur.  Again, we took an early boat back to Pili and had a much easier time without having to wait for people to fill up a boat with us.  On the contrary, everybody seemed to have the same plan as we did.  While was pretty much a handful of passengers on our way here, this time, they were packing the boats like crazy -- with people, fruit, vegetables, other sorts of merchandise, more people.  When were they going to stop?  With what and how much they were the boats with, I wouldn't have been surprised if they loaded a carabao or two on them.
Tumaguitti Falls

Anyway, the boat ride back was also much more pleasant and lasted only an hour.  We were once again met at the port by the governor's pick up service and had lunch back at the Capitol Complex.  Our bus to Manila wasn't departing until 9pm so my friend made arrangements for us to spend the rest of the day at Mt. Isarog, a protected forest reserve and national park to check out the waterfalls and the deer farm nearby.

C and I were driven off once again.  We arrived at the top of the mountain and had to trek our way down.  The trail was easy (at least at first) as it's paved AND tiled, proving that this has been host to many a tourist in the past.  The first one we went to, Tumaguitti Falls, was all the way and straight down.
Hotel Mt. Isarog
  All around the inside of the mountain were age-old trees so tall they covered the view of the skies above.  There were lots of fallen rocks and debris from the mountain, some crushing the man-made pavement and steps and were mostly covered with moss.  The temperature was pretty cool, but it was humid at the same time.  Only the humming of the cicadas provided the soundtrack to this place until we reached Tumaguitti, where we could hear the splashing of the water from a few meters away.  Tumaguitti is the tallest waterfall in all of Mt. Isarog, and is marked by a bamboo bridge ahead of it.  The bridge had seen some wear and tear, and though ricketty on one side, was still safely passable.  The water was too cold to swim in though, but as usual, C went in for a quick dip.

After some time, we retraced our steps halfway to the entrace where there were steps leading down to the other waterfalls.
Kawa Kawa Falls
  It's a long, seemingly never-ending, slippery way down (I really should stop smoking!), but the scenery way pretty.  We found the second falls, Bulalacao, which was quite lovely too, having a picnic and rest area on both sides.  But time was running out so after a few shots here and there, way made our final decent to the last waterfall on our agenda, the Kawa-Kawa Falls.

Halfway through was a clearing.  There was a resthouse on one side and a treehouse whose steps spiraled around the trunk on one of the larger trees on the other.  C and I wanted to climb up just to check out the view from the top, but again, we didn't have much time and so proceeded down to Kawa-Kawa Falls at the very bottom of the steps.  Access to it from here was a bit of a hassle (from what I can remember now), you'd have to swim the rest of the way.
Deer Farm
   I was tired and out of breath, and didn't get want to get wet in the weird humid weather and sweat all the way going up.  C, of course, went in.  He'd do anything for a photo!

Once out, we hit the sari-sari (variety) store and sunk a bottle of water in just a few seconds before making our way to our last stop, the Deer Farm in Ocampo.  Little did I know about this unique farm, and much less about the kind of deer it stocked.  It had local deer as well as imported ones like blackbuck antelope, fallow deer, chital deer, red deer and elk.  Of course, ask me to identify them for you and I wouldn't have the foggiest.  But there were so many of them, right here in the Philippines, I couldn't believe my eyes!

Now for the tricky part - photograping the buggers.  There were so many of them you'd think it'd be a cinch capturing them.  Wrong!  Everytime, and i mean EVERYtime we'd hold up the cameras to our faces to take a snap when they were looking, they would always, ALWAYS turn away right when we'd hit the button.  What's up with that?  It was as if they knew exactly what we were up to, and it was as if they were playing this game with us, teasing.  WTF?!  So we tried a different approach - by running up to them and trying for a close-up shot.  They needn't be looking, as long as we could get near enough for a well-composed photo.  That didn't work and we only ended up chasing the deer all the way to the other end of the farm.  Grrrrr...  Again, we tried to get closer, but this time, and like the idiot that I am, tried to make these moronic animal noises in hopes of catching their attention.  I failed once more, as the deer would just give us a glance and get back to their business.  Great, I think I may have just validated the fact to them that they were indeed in the presence of fools - C, too, since he  joined in with my "meeehhhh, meeeehhh!"  Ah but despite all the tomfoolery, our efforts were not in vain.  I think we managed at least 1 decent shot!  We made our way back satisfied and feeling triumphant.

We had our final dinner at the Capitol Complex and managed a quick, refreshing shower before hitting the road again back to Manila.  The entire journey may have been exhausting and extensive, but experiencing Caramoan has permanently changed my attitude towards beaches forever.

i_am_dennis says:
through pictures and words, you've convinced me to add this to my future travels.
Posted on: Aug 28, 2007