Oodles of Noodles

Phnom Penh Travel Blog

Hi All!

Just a short update this time as internet isn't great. Had a great time in Bangkok. Saw the Grand palace, Wat Pho, Vertigo Bar (open roof bar on the 59th floor of Bayan Tree Hotel - LOVED IT!), toured canals by longtail boat, visited China Town (great cookies!), strolled down Khao San Road and Sum Luan night market. Very fun :)

Now in Phnom Penh, Cambodia after a quick airplane trajet from our favourite airport (Bangkok). Very different from Thailand. People definitely have less money here. Tuktuks, food and hotels are all less expensive. People have been very welcoming a smiley. Quite a few people have chatted to us from teens in the supermarket laughing at my expression as I picked up 'honey and basil seed' drinks to a tuktuk driver who was waiting on his clients, to a little girl practising her only two English sentences. Its such a nice atmosphere. A less pleasant side to our time here is that we feel we have to be a little more cautious here than in Singapore or Thailand. We have already been the subjects of an attempted scam, albeit a pretty benign one. A little boy came up to our table as we were eating on the terrace of a restaurent last night and pointed to some money we had 'dropped'. We were a little suspicious and didn't pick it up for ages after he left as we knew it wasnt ours. Eventually we picked up the "$100" note and were deciding how to distribute it here as we didn't feel we should spend it on us as it wasn't ours. In the aim of getting smaller currency to give to people, we attempted to use it to pay our dinner (which we would then have reimbursed using our own smaller change - I promise! ;) They asked us for a smaller note, which we then supplied. On returning to our hotel room we looked at the note again and its very obviously a fake! Printed on normal paper and significantly smaller than a real note. Such a laugh! I guess the idea is that we pick it up and reward the boy a few dollars for being so honest as to point it out. I wonder what the restaurant staff made of us.

I prob spent way to much space telling that anecdote but it amused me.

More soon,

xox Lainey

ps. Oodles of noodles referred to my recent diet and the amazing bulk quantities of noodles we saw in a China Town market we wandered through by mistake! Hehe

Phnom Penh