V for Van, Valium, Vang Vieng

Vang Vieng Travel Blog

My favorite shot :)

My alarm did a really good job to wake me up at 5 AM. We got our butts in gear and headed to the nearest Wat to witness the giving alms to the monks’ ceremony. We bought the alms from the local lady that cost us 20,000 per basket. Baskets normally consist of a big bowl of sticky rice and bananas or tapioca cake.

A rumor has it that if we give the alms to the monk, what we wish would come true in the future. I don’t know how it works but I was thrilled to be the part of the ceremony. We sat on the sidewalk together with local people and some tourists and waited for the monks to pass by. Once they came, we handed out the sticky rice and banana/tapioca cake inside their container. It was a beautiful ceremony, unfortunately kinda corrupted with the touristy affect that make the ceremony less sacred or the monks might felt being exploited. Don’t get me wrong, I was still thinking it was an interesting ceremony to be witnessed.

Today is a little bit different and sadder for 3 of us since we split our ways.

Lining up..
Since Nikie had longer vacation period, she decided to stay longer in Luang Prabang and explore Laos further with her friends Jaime and Hamish, while Siska and I made our way to Vang Vieng. We said goodbye by hugging each other. I wish we could spend time longer with Nikie. She’s really fun to be with and always took care of us :D

The van picked us up at 8 AM and took us to the minivan station. We had to wait for about 2 hours until the van was full. But I didn’t wanna complain because this time we were not being ripped off and the people inside the van were nice.

I was a bit anxious about my motion sickness problem. I read in Lonely Planet that anyone who suffers motion sickness should take necessary precautions before the trip from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng.

The stupidest thing I did was I forgot to bring my motion sickness medicine. Aren’t I smart?

Sitting behind me was a crazy Irish guy who suddenly yelled “Three valium left! Anyone care to take it?” I didn’t know what valium is and since I was too overwhelmed with my anxiety, I took one from him. I looked at Siska with a big smile on my face and said “Yay, I got a motion sickness medicine.”

It was only 15 minutes after I took the valium.. I PASSED OUT!

Didn’t aware what happened in the first 2 hours of the trip to Vang Vieng. I was totally doomed.

The view on the way to Vang Vieng
You guys should ask Siska what happened. I think she mentioned that all the people in the van laughed at me for my stupidity. I was a total loser! Lol!

I felt groggy when I woke up but somehow felt better that I don’t suffer from the motion sickness. I engaged a conversation with the Irish guy named Olan who turned out to be a funky person. The rest of the trip to Vang Vieng he sat next to me and we had a good time.

Since he’s been to Vang Vieng before, he managed to help us get a nice and cheap place to stay. The room where we stayed had a balcony with a nice view of Vang Vieng nature for 60,000 kip only. Soon after we dropped our stuff in our room, we changed our clothes and went to tubing area with Olan.

It was a total culture shock for me to see what’s really going on in that place.

Tubing here we come!
Couldn’t believe that in a forgotten country like Laos, a hippie village does exist. Lol! Everyone went crazy under influence of alcohol, probably ganja and mushroom! I overcame the shock in a minute and tried the zipline right away! It was funnnnnnnnnn!! We hang out in that place for awhile and made friends with more people.

We moved to another place where the MUD PIT is. As soon as we got there, I was thrown away inside the pit! It was brutal yet exciting, all at the same time. Did a lot of activities there like tug of war, mud war and just simply soaking ourselves inside the pit. Totally WICKED! Beside the mud pit, it has high swing rope but I was too scared to try. I know I’m lame. Lol!

We went back to the guesthouse when it got dark. Siska and I had Lao food for our dinner at a local restaurant.

Crazy Irish guy
The ambience was very laid-back and we watched FRIENDS while having our dinner. It was PERFECT. Great food, great laugh!

Olan joined us later that night just mellow out in our room. I had my beerlao.. (whaattt?? Did I just say I had my beerlao?? Sjeezz.. Lol!) then around 12 AM we went to Sunset Bar. It’s a cool bar with cool owner and bartenders. We met again with the people we met at the tubing area and had good time with them. Someone took “Happy Drink aka Ganja Shake” and it was her turn to pass out that night. Haha!

When I looked back, everything that happened today was kinda crazy. It’s an extreme combination of total heaven and total hell in one day. Well, but life is all about balancing, isn’t it?

I enjoyed every bit of it, likewise.

rintjez says:
nyahahaha! Yeah, it must have been you who gave me bad influence. Lol! Someone needs to take the blame, noh??

Nay, gonna stick to my old profile shout-out! Because apparently I only did it when we were in Laos ;)

Let's see our next trip! If I take another drink again, that's the time I will definitely change it!
Posted on: Jun 25, 2009
rintjez says:
You can try the Valium too Joseph. No one would know unless you share it in your blog. Lol!
Posted on: Jun 24, 2009
darkinvader143 says:
waaah wish i could do that same thing!!! not the valium though :P
Posted on: Jun 24, 2009
Crazy Irish guy
Somewhere between Luang Prabang an…
Somewhere between Luang Prabang a…
Vang Vieng