AsiaJapanNaruto

The whirlpools of Naruto

Naruto Travel Blog

view of the bridge and whirlpool

Located in the north east of Tokushima on the island of Shikoku lies a small town called Naruto. Naruto is famous for its swirling whirlpools that just happens to be the fourth strongest in the world that can reach up to 20 metres in diameter. Having never seen a whirlpool except for the powerful vortex that forms whenever I pull the plug out of bathtub. I was looking forward to witness the force of these whirlpools, though I had heard from many people that they can be rather disappointing if you don't come at the right time.

The best time to see the whirlpools are at the change of tides when it moves a large volume of water into the Inland Sea.

whirlpool
Naruto and Awaji Island are seperated by a width of 1.3 kilometres. The strait is one of the connections between the Pacific Ocean and the Inland Sea. Due to the narrowness of the strait, the water rushes through the Naruto Channel, forming the whirlpools.

From the Renaisance Hotel we took a taxi up to the whirlpools passing the Otsuka museum of Art, which we would be visiting tomorrow as well as the dock where the boats venture out into the channel and travel under the Naruto-Ohashi bridge to inspect the whirlpools up close.  Whirlpools have been known to kill unlucky seafarers but their power tends to be exaggerated  as there are no stories of large ships being sucked into a whirlpool.

Arriving at the whirlpools, the signs showed best viewing times. On the day that we were there the best times to observe the whirlpools were 9.

whirlpool
30am and 16.30 pm, with two hours to wait we thought it would be good to walk around Naruto Park. The area had a few souvenier stalls attended by elderly women selling tacky souveniers as well as a museum about whirlpools throughout the world. The museum was quite interesting but if you don't know Japanese it wouldn't be worth the entrance fee as there are no signs in English.

While walking around outside we saw a sign Cha- En, a traditional tea house located 300 metres up the hill. We wandered up to where we thought it would be but there was no tea house instead there was a sparse open, manicured lawn overlooking Naruto Ohashi bridge, Awaji Island and the gushing water flowing in under the bridge, even from this distance you could tell the velocity of the water was extremely powerful.

view from cha-en
The view was spectacular and I could only imagine what it would have been like centuries ago when the tea house was standing there.

Standing in the chilled air but still a bright blue sky we wandered down to the bridge which had been built with a pedestrian platform underneath for people to get a close up look of the whirlpools 45 metres below. The taxi driver had told us that it would be cold up here, he wasn't exaggerating with the wind whipping against our face and the cars pounding the bridge from above.  The bridge expecting to last 100 years is capable of sustaining the force of an earthquake to a level of eight on the richterscale, that history shows occurs once or twice a century.

As we walked along the bridge after about 100 metres, came the first glass panel to observe the water.

taken next day from the beach of our hotel
Looking through the panel my stomache felt squirmy filled with nerves watching  the water crash against the rocks and the shore. Walking further along, the panels came more frequently until we came to a closed off area where you could walk no further. The panels before had only been a small squared window, now the whole area was a panel covering a space of 15-20 squared metres right over the centre of where the whirlpools occur. The ferocity of the water swirled at amazing speeds it was unlike any bathtub I had seen before, even though the whirlpools that we saw were probably only five to ten metres in diameter, the sheer force of the water, the power of nature that  is formed without any help from humans left me in silence while people moved around trying to find the best spots when a whirlpool would appear.

I just squatted peering through the panel taking everything in, watching the whirpools form. Man can destroy forests, pollute water and air but one thing they can't destroy are these whirlpools. As we were leaving I walked to the edge and looked out between the wire and watched a boat carrying tourists to get a close up of the whirlpools. I stood knowing that boats had never been sucked into the pools below but it still made me stand and watch, luckily for the passengers they too were not to be the first to be sucked into the whirlpools.

Whirlpool information

The whirlpools occur twice a day usually in the morning and afternoon. The day we were there the best viewing times were 9.30 and 16.20.

You can get close to the whirlpools by taking a glass bottom boat for a 20 minute viewing of the whirlpools for 1500 yen.

We only walked on the bridge which still offer great views.  500 yen

whirlpool museum 600 yen

A bus runs once an hour from Naruto station takes about 15- 20 minutes.

ys484 says:
I saw the whirlpools of Naruto from Awaji Island. I've never been to Sikoku;)
reikunboy says:
can you see the whirlpools from Awaji or do you still have to cross to narutoto see the whirlpools.
reikunboy says:
I used to go to Awaji Island every year with my previous company for Summer school camp.
view from cha-en
taken next day from the beach of o…
taken next day from the beach of …
139 km (86 miles) traveled