Walking tour of Nürnberg

Nurnberg Travel Blog

Holy Ghost Hospital

I stowed my luggage in a locker at the train station and walked down Königstrasse towards the Imperial Castle.  It was a gloomy day - cloudy with drizzle.  I stopped in the St. Lawrence Church just to escape the rain and wind for a little bit.  When I went back outside the sun was starting to peek through the clouds.  I got a nice photo of the 16th century Holy Ghost Hospital over the Pegnitz River.  This hospital was built by someone hoping to escape purgatory.

The market square had a nice market taking place with lots of fresh fruit and vegetable stands and the Frauenkirche on the edge.  The Beautiful Fountain is on the far corner of the market and was built to bring clean drinking water to the square.

Frauenkirche and Market Square
  There are two colored rings on the fence surrounding the fountain.  If you spin the gold one three times, it will bring you good luck.  The black ring brings fertility (I didn't spin this one).

I finally made it to the end of the street just below the Imperial Castle.  I couldn't figure out how to get in, but after wandering for a few minutes I made my way inside.  The castle is built from red sandstone bricks and part of the castle walls are sandstone outcrops au natural.  To see any of the Castle buildings, you must take the tour in German, so I did.  The first stop was the double decker chapel where royalty worship from the upper level.  I took a self tour of the museum with armor and weapons and stuff, but there wasn't much to see.  A fun stop was the deep well - 165 ft deep!  Everyone crowds around the well while the guide lowers a platform of lit candles to the bottom.  You watch as the candles get smaller and smaller until they are just little pin pricks of light.  It's pretty neat, even if you don't understand German.  To end the tour I climbed the tower for a nice overview of the city.  I wandered around the gardens a little bit and then we all sort of got kicked out because they were closing up for the night.

I walked back to the train station and caught my night train to Amsterdam.

fresh fruit stand
fresh fruit stand
St. Lawrence Church
St. Lawrence Church
Beautiful Fountain
Beautiful Fountain
Schöner Brunnen (beautiful founta…
Schöner Brunnen (beautiful fount…
Spinning the gold ring for luck