Rainy Day at the wild animal park

Göttingen Travel Blog

Wild animal park

I stopped in Göttingen to visit some relatives that have had an addition to their family since the last time I saw them.  It was a cool day and threatened to be rainy but we drove out to the Wild Animal Park anyway.  Basically this is a large park with wild animals in their (near) native habitats with a walking path through the park and overlooks into the pens.

When we first got to the park, we were greeted by the goats so we spent a good half hour feeding them pellets from the machines.  And then it started raining so we went into the little shelter and ate the picnic lunch we brought.

Lynx
  And still it rained.  So we went out in the rain anyway.  The first animals we saw were a mother lynx and her 4 babies.  They were cute.  We stopped in the little shelter there as it kept raining and Frauke noticed some wild mushrooms growing nearby that were good to eat.  So she went off into the woods and started picking mushrooms!  They have a card game of mushrooms that they use to identify the different varieties of mushrooms, whether they are edible and what dishes they taste good in.  Hmmm, I'm pretty sure most people don't just pick wild mushrooms at a park because they just might be poisonous!  But I guess she grew up that way and knew her mushrooms.

We saw some other animals, but animals are animals in any language so this stop was mostly fun for the kids.  It eventually stopped raining and we fnished walking the park.  A few more pellets for the goats and we decided to head home to warm tea and waffles.  Frauke whipped up some little waffles quick and we warmed up on tea and then it was a mad dash to the train station to catch my train home.  I was running up the steps as the train was pulling up to the platform.  Three minutes later, we were departing the city.  I hate cutting it that close!

Rain, rain go away
Rain, rain go away
Wish it would stop raining...
Wish it would stop raining...
Picking mushrooms