Quebec City, Quebec - Canada - November 2007

Quebec City Travel Blog

Via Ticket for Going to Quebec from Montreal

This blog is part of a trip of a week long, 3 of us from Thunder Bay did in November 2007.

We were doing a few days in Montreal and decided we can do one day in Quebec City to see the historical aspects of it.

I am travelling with a bunch of people from work, joshua and Luke who are rookie travellers.

We leave our hotel in Montreal and check out, and then walk down the street to the train station at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel to get to the VIA rail to which we are going to take the train to Quebec City.

QC Legislature

Arriving at the station, we have some time to waste, the train station is kind of smelly and the washroom smells like someone died in it.

Finally we board our train, this is my first time on board VIA Rail, its nothing special but its a good way to see the countryside of province of Quebec. We have good seats on board our train and have good window, seems to be exciting. We start to go down the tracks and its seems its no high speed train, I was hoping train would go faster, however its ok.

We make a few quick stops in some towns on route to Quebec City. Luke is listening to his IPOD the whole time and Joshua almost looses his ticket when requested by the conductor to see it, typical of him. After an intensive search he finds his ticket and is allowed to stay on board.

We finally after 3 hours make it to the Quebec City, the train station is kind of neat.

Ol
We grab our bags and get into a taxi, the driver smells of fish and pee and its unpleasant to be in the car with, good thing our ride is only 3 minutes up a hill.

We check into our hotel, The Delta Quebec and go to our rooms and leave our bags there.

We leave hotel and make our way to the Old Town and Quebec Parliament prior.

Heres the lowdown of Old Town Quebec:

Historic part of Quebec City, which was founded in 1608.  The upper part, referred to as 'Upper Town' (Haute-ville) is walled with ramparts and makes Québec the only remaining walled city north of México in North America.  The lower part of the old city, referred to as 'Lower Town' (Basse-ville), contains a historic church and lots of shopping in very old buildngs.  A few buildings are 17th century vintage and many buildings date from the mid-eighteenth century.

Quebec Legislature
  The prevailing architectural styles are British and also very French, and in particular, representative of village architecture from western France (Brittany, Aquitaine, etc.)  during the same period.  There are not many cities in Canada��"or in the world��"that have an architecture as diverse as Québec City. No fewer than 11 architectural styles from the 17th century to modern times have been identified in Québec City. The stone buildings are enlivened by brighttly coloured metal roofs and signs.

We first walk around the main Provincial Parliament buildings of Quebec and its an amazing place.

Fairmount Chateau Frontenac
The area is very clean and worth taking a million photos of.

Then we walk around Old Quebec, very picturesque area, with lots of horsedrawn carriages everywhere. This area is almost like being in Europe all over again, closet thing to Europe you can find in Canada. The buildings are truly amazing and one would love to stay here forever.

It reminds me of many cities I been to in Europe and many other cities, great memories. Luke and Joshua are highly amazed at this stunning great city.  We enter the famous Chateau Frontenac hotel, which is what over looks the St. Lawrence river. It is consider the most high richest hotel in this area. You always see it when photos of Quebec are shown. Inside is a mall that I walk around in quickly as I hate to shop, just went in to say I was in it.

We make our way across the street and run into some street performers, like I had seen in Europe before.

2 People are all in white make up and clothes and are being like statues. Quick amazing as its the same things I saw in France.

We decide its time for lunch and make it to a nice restaurant. Here we try a famous french canadian food, Corn Beef Sandwich. It was somethat was recommended to try. I get my sandwich and its nice and big, and its ok. Nothing special, but one of those things you try and its ok, as they say.

We make our way down right to the St Lawrence river area and use it to take some more photos. This is consider the Lower Town of the city. Then back up the hill, to which Luke is not too happy about climbing all the steps up.

We do a visit to the Citadel, which is all about history and plains of Abraham. We enter the building and try to get to the main court yard and are stopped by some military guy. Who tells us we can not go any further as we need to be guided.

Who would ever have known, so we leave and decide we saw enough.

We continue walking around this great city and its highly charming feeling very good. We head back to the hotel for a siesta and make plans for the evening.

Evening we go out for dinner and go to Saint-Alexandrea pub on St Jean st. Its a traditional english style pub and I order fish and chips to which are highly amazing. We ended up having dessert here as well, chocolate cake and red wine, well Luke and I had Red wine, Joshua suckered out and had a glass of milk, lol.

We leave the pub after some good drinks and wander old town again. At the main entrance we come across a skating rink ful of skaters, its really neat. Very charming place and looks like ice is cooled from underneath. We make a few more walks around and I am stopped by a guy in a car with his wife who is lost and from out of town.

He asked me if I knew how to get to certain area, so I feeling like being funny give him directions, even though I had no clue where they were. Too funny, so probably this guy got lost and made it around in some bad area. All well i was kinda mean, but it was funny.

Anyhow its sunday night, so we head back to hotel and call it a night. We leave Quebec City tomorrow by VIA Rail and back to Montreal to see the Buffalo Sabres play hockey that evening.

Stay tuned for more blogs. on this trips

Check out this blog at

www.excitingworldtravels.com

Exciting World Travels

Via Ticket for Going to Quebec fro…
Via Ticket for Going to Quebec fr…
Leaving Montreal
Old quebec
Old Quebec
Old Quebec
Fairmount Chateau Frontenac
Lobby area ofFairmount Chateau Fro…
Lobby area ofFairmount Chateau Fr…
Street performers
a nice building
a nice building
Some important dude
Some important dude
Interesting decorations at some re…
Interesting decorations at some r…
our hotel again
our hotel again
The Skating Rink I told you about …
The Skating Rink I told you about…
beer