First week...

Utila Travel Blog

I flew into San Pedro Sula, which is on the mainland of Honduras. It was about 9pm and had to take a taxi to a hotel. I was scared shitless. I mean the whole way i was just waiting for the taxi driver to pull over and have a bunch of guys grab me out of the car and kill me. It was really scary. the next morning I took a mini plane to Utila and hitched a ride in the back of a pick up with two other people into town. There i met my cousin who works at a dive shop in town. He took me to his aparment and we immediately began to drink. We kicked back and relaxed until that night when we went out and had the most delicious enchiladas I have ever had. I booked a dive package for $268 which included the open water certification and four nights at the hotel.
The hotel was located on a tiny little cay of about 500 people. The rooms were hostel style and everyone was always hanging around and what not so we all became like a happy little family. The only things to eat were fish burger which served, well, fish burgers, hamburgers, grilled fish plate, chicken nuggets, etc. The other place was this womans kitchen and she basically made baleadas. And actually there was the Harbor house which had nice food and internet.

Over the next four days I learned to dive and became a certified diver! I returned back to the main island and spent my last night with my cousins. We went out for a nice dinner and then to Treetanic, this amazing bar that is like a tree house and then to Bar in the Bush where we danced until late. Early the next morning, I awoke, still drunk and took a catamaran to roatan for 55 bucks.
photo by: Yoshu